Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2011, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Too late to encourage bermuda

I'm wondering if it is too late to encourage bermuda growth. For the past couple of years since we've had our house I've seeded fescue in the front. It takes a lot of water to keep it from dieing in the summer here in NC. I've got a lot of bermuda that has taken root volluntarily . I think its b/c the company that maintains my neighbors house discharges into my yard. The house across the street has bermuda and I don't know if that is coming over into my yard somehow. I've always cut the fescue at 3.5"-4" and now the bermuda is getting this tall so I was wondering if I cut it shorter would that make the bermuda spread and I will just stick with the bermuda and overseed in the winter? Then I will seed with bermuda next summer early.
Stihl FC55R
Stihl BR550
Craftsman 21"
6x10 open trailer
Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

You've got the right idea. Cut it short in this heat and the fescue will go belly up and give the bermuda room to spread. I would go ahead and hit it with a dose of fertilizer right after you cut it close...maybe .75-1 lb of N per 1000? You should not have to put down any bermuda seed next spring because the existing bermuda will spread so fast.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

do you have bermuda as well?
Stihl FC55R
Stihl BR550
Craftsman 21"
6x10 open trailer
Old 07-27-2011, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I have Zenith Zoysia
Old 07-27-2011, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you overseed your zoysia for winter color? I'm not sure if you can or not but I am thinking about zoysia under some trees in my back yard where I can't get the bermuda to grow.
Stihl FC55R
Stihl BR550
Craftsman 21"
6x10 open trailer
Old 07-27-2011, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I do not overseed in the winter for the following reasons:
- Its expensive to buy the seed
- Too much work trying to worry about germination and mowing while also trying to keep the leaves picked up (new growth makes leaves very hard to get up)
- I fear that overseeding will compromise my turf quality
- I personally like the look of a quality dormant lawn...its the mottled mess of brown and green that looks bad to me.

Putting zoysia in the shadey areas is a good idea. The bermuda will be slightly more "blue" in color, but the color match will be close; maybe go for a variety of zoysia that has a blade thickness similar to common bermuda (emerald comes to mind)...the only downside is that you will more than likely wish that you also had zoysia in the sunny areas

The problem with wanting zoysia throughout is that since you already have lots of common bermuda, its going to be really hard to get rid of it. Zoysia (of any variety) cannot compete with the growth rate of common bermuda - its an extremely aggresive grass and will overtake zoysia if you dont use something like Ornamec to keep the common bermuda at bay, but even that is hopeless if you have a serious amount of bermuda.

I think you've got a good plan.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999frontier View Post
if I cut it shorter would that make the bermuda spread and I will just stick with the bermuda
wish i had a nickel for every potential customer that i've given this advice to.

to me it just makes sense to encourage what is doing well anyway, instead of struggling to keep marginal turf alive.