Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-31-2011, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

For homeowners yes but for commercial They are only good down south. Up here we have too many leaves. For that price 2000 about not worth it Used they are prob getting rid of them cuz they suck. Oak leaves will fill it up quick. Just stick to the tarps and barrels. And u said only about 6 lawns must be vacuumed. Don't buy a vac. Not with even 20 lawns. Like someone said the hose is just as bad a killer on your back as tarps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2011, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

we mow weekly through christmas....or it goes dormant
on top of that it takes about 2 weeks to cycle through every one we start as needed on november 1st and stay on a 2 week cycle untill new years.then we go to monthly cleanups untill february when we kick off the15th back to weekly mowing services .as a whole we handle about1 million cubic foot of tripple shreaded leaves total and we dont have dump trucks trailersand only have a few vacs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2011, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

so your all saying tarp the leaves, but im not sure your hearing me say that i only have a f350 srw dump insert with a box on it. I also do have a 7x12' trailer that I could put sides on.
2009 exmark sit down
nice new 2010 trailer
Stihl MS 260 Pro Chainsaw
Husqvarna 576XP!
Stihl Arborist/climber chainsaw
Stihl Br 550 Blower, new echo blower
Husqvarna trimmers
Old 07-31-2011, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

you dont read well i understand that now .

If you have a 7x12 trailer you can get about 12-14 tarps (10'x10') of mulched up and shredded leaves with out walls. The same as 30 dumps of a 9.5 bushel box . if you need more room then that you are not doing your leaves on the right schedule I have a 6.5"x 12'dove tail trailer and you can get a walker and 8 bags on it with no walls and on a 2 week visit with 20 trees on a 1/2 acre it is all on one trailer.

truth is business is about balancing wants and needs with the facts of costand demand . we all can be in debt to do a job but what did we gain ??? a sore back blistered palms and pocket change.
If i was your personal business advisor i would suggest this .
go out and sell leaf cleanups ( name a price yo ufeel should make $$ and stand by it this year) if you get 20 people saying yes then you may reconsider a vac but you cant base growth on a mayby or just in case . IF YOU DONT HAVE THE CLIENT BASE DONT THINK FOR A SECOND A NEW TOY WILL GET IT FOR YOU!!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We also have crews with walkers and 14' trailers ....we place a 4" high box on the front and you can get alot of leaves in it . It is all about baby steps . try a new method untill you find one that is BENEFICIAL to your business dont do something becasue everyone else does .

I tell all of my customers if they get a walk up estimate and they are asked what they pay ....it is a trick to low cut us and likely a failed attempt to take their lawn and be gone next season and if they ask just say $25.00

so you follow me and you believe we are cheap-o or they cant compete either way they are gone fast . So Dont believe what you hear and only believe half what you see.

Do what is best for your business and dont ask people who dont care your best intrest.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLS View Post
you dont read well i understand that now.
Awesome...

RIP SFC Hall, SGT Forest, CPL Pautsch.I will never forget you guys!

I am the Infantry! Follow me!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adforester View Post
Oak leaves fills that up fast what I do is I run my mower with chute block and mulch them in rows then run the billy goat vac them up
I can get more on the trailer
Old 07-31-2011, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

well i'm not in this for short term i'm in this for the long haul, that's why i want to get good equipment.

i don't know why but using an open trailer to haul leaves just seems trailer trashy to me lol. but we all do what we have to.

--my business will and has grown, no if and or buts about it thats why i just want to start out with an easier (be it "lazy" way). Trust me being over a vacuum all day
is much better for the back than dragging heavy tarps out of a trailer.
2009 exmark sit down
nice new 2010 trailer
Husqvarna 576XP!
Husqvarna trimmers
Old 07-31-2011, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adforester View Post
well i'm not in this for short term i'm in this for the long haul, that's why i want to get good equipment.

i don't know why but using an open trailer to haul leaves just seems trailer trashy to me lol. but we all do what we have to.
Well then, you go buy a 4k piece of equipment you dont need. I on the other hand will be using a BR600 magnum, tarps, mowers and OSB board on my trailer. This years cost... about 70 bucks for the OSB board. Savings?...Just ask my kids on Christmas.

RIP SFC Hall, SGT Forest, CPL Pautsch.I will never forget you guys!

I am the Infantry! Follow me!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

anyone do solo fall cleanups?
i was thinking with a leaf vacuum it would make it easier to do them without help. But dragging tarps I would need help and I figured it would cost $100 day for help 3 days a week for 1 1/2 months cleanup that's $1800 OR the price of a 16 hp leaf vacuum, see where i'm going with this?
2009 exmark sit down
nice new 2010 trailer
Husqvarna 576XP!
Husqvarna trimmers