Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-24-2011, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What you don't see in those picks is the width of that pile it was 2 1/2 times as wide as the truck and these picks were taken after we sucked off the first 50 feet of the pile.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

For those of you who have BIG properties like yours (*Kelly Landscaping*) do you do weekly cleanups before you cant keep up with the leaf volume falling or do you do one cleanup when all the leaves have fallen? (talking about the big properties, its easy enpough on small properties to keep up somewhat
2009 exmark sit down
nice new 2010 trailer
Stihl MS 260 Pro Chainsaw
Husqvarna 576XP!
Stihl Arborist/climber chainsaw
Stihl Br 550 Blower, new echo blower
Husqvarna trimmers
Old 08-24-2011, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We do a minimum of 3 on our big ones once they fall hard. Our biggest single home for leaves has 100 full grown oak trees that fall on 3.5 acres of a 5 acre lawn. In the past it would take a crew of 5 a minimum of a day and a half per visit. The tools was a 16, dump trailer with 4` walls 2 walkers for the bagging 2 60" SD mmowers and 1 man blowing off all the tree bases. generally it would require 3 +dumps in his field per visit.They would dump the walkers 200 times to finish them
now with a dump trailer, backpack blower and vac and 1 mower to push a 3 man team finishes in a 12 hour day by starting in the back and pushing it all to the vac. cant beat that for speed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2011, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We bag the leaves through Oct until it becomes economically untenable. You know when you max out your dump truck with leaves in 2-3 lawns you know its time to call off mowing and wait till the rest fall and do real clean ups. We also don't solicit clean ups nor do we give estimates for them we do 90-110 fall clean ups every year.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Yyou don't give estimates? ...so you just tell them a price?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2011, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If only 6 lawns need leaves hauled I'd just haul them in bulk or sub out the vac work. That's what I do and I have a leaf vac, lol.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Let's say you have a lawn you charge 150 a cut, how much extra would you typically charge for bagging?
On a 50 cut I charge 75 for bagging until final cleanup
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2011, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adforester View Post
Let's say you have a lawn you charge 150 a cut, how much extra would you typically charge for bagging?
On a 50 cut I charge 75 for bagging until final cleanup
Posted via Mobile Device
I never bag until i start cleanups.... like right now in MI leaves are starting to fall i usually cut it just as i would and if i can nicely pile all of the leaves under a tree i will. I put the bagger on usually after i come back from vacation...
-the last cut is the last week of october.
-Vacation for me
-Put the baggers and leaf rig on and its clean up time
-SNOWWWWW!
Old 08-25-2011, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No we charge by the hour if they agree to that we do the clean up if not we don't. I'm booked solid in fall I do not have time too waste coming to your house for estimates. We also do not take on any clean ups for non lawn customers winter storms can shut us down at any time wouldn't be fair to do a one time clean up and leave a loyal client hanging.

Prices are not based on lawn cut prices they have nothing to do with one another. We have 25-30 dollar cuts that may be 100-150 dollar fall clean ups but we also have some in that cost range that are 400-500 dollar fall clean ups. We have many that are in 1000 dollar range lawn size isn't the big factor nor is leaf quantity as many mistakenly think. It's the terrain and the objects its the over grown shrubs in the beds touching the house or its the tulip seeds in the grass bringing blowing off to a crawl.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well i read the first three pages and am amazed noone said forget the vac and get a mulch kit on a good mower. I have an ultra vac with a quick dump hopper for my 60" lazer and i dont even use it.