Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2011, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a question for you guys.In one of the pics you can see a fence.Well next season,I plan on landscaping that area and an area to the left that is out of the picture.I am pretty sure 5 spray heads will cover the area but there is an outside chance that I will need 6. I will be using Toro 570 sprays.

Now in all my other beds,I have the Toro 570's with 5 spray heads per zone and they work great.I tried 6 and while they still work,performance suffered .Less water was spraying and some of the 12" popups only came up half way.

Sooo,here is what I did in that trench along the fence in preperation for the 5 sprays and possibly 6. Instead of a 3/4" lateral,I ran a 1" lateral which will be used for the sprays on that zone. Do you think that the 1" lateral will help to support the 6 spray heads much better than a 3/4" lateral?
Old 07-30-2011, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A larger pipe gives less friction loss. So in a way, yes.

However it means nothing with out knowing your static and dynamic psi along with your flow rate.

6 spray heads and not being able to fully pop up tells me either 2 things

The pressure and water volume is not enough to supply what the sprinkler heads are asking for

or

bad design
Old 07-30-2011, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX12R View Post
I have a question for you guys.In one of the pics you can see a fence.Well next season,I plan on landscaping that area and an area to the left that is out of the picture.I am pretty sure 5 spray heads will cover the area but there is an outside chance that I will need 6. I will be using Toro 570 sprays.

Now in all my other beds,I have the Toro 570's with 5 spray heads per zone and they work great.I tried 6 and while they still work,performance suffered .Less water was spraying and some of the 12" popups only came up half way.

Sooo,here is what I did in that trench along the fence in preperation for the 5 sprays and possibly 6. Instead of a 3/4" lateral,I ran a 1" lateral which will be used for the sprays on that zone. Do you think that the 1" lateral will help to support the 6 spray heads
much better than a 3/4" lateral?
Try some toro precision spray nozzles. I think the 12' half only uses something like .79 gpm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2011, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
Try some toro precision spray nozzles. I think the 12' half only uses something like .79 gpm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Greenmonster,I will check them out.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
The blue stuff is flexible electrical conduit....some also call it flex tubing.It is very hard,yet very flexible. In thepicture,I am usinig it for speaker wire.
I've seen the blue flex down here, never really paid attention to it because it looked flimsy.

Probably a stupid question; is it rated for inground?

Down here I have to use SCD 80 for anything over 24V and bury to 36".

Last edited by Buck_wheat; 07-31-2011 at 07:47 AM. Reason: ?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Ditto. These have been working GREAT for us this year when we have been redesigning systems or if the system is stretched on gpm or low pressure.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Ditto. These have been working GREAT for us this year when we have been redesigning systems or if the system is stretched on gpm or low pressure.
Last week we converted an obsolete zone in an over grown area to a spray zone between the road and privet. We were able to put 17 12' halfs on a 16 gpm supply. They are handy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2011, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
You trench for PVC in your region though,right? I have never seen an irrigation contractor in this region trench for poly.Maybe I just don't get out enough.New construction ,I can see trenching,but,on established lawns,it just make a mess and much more finish work.

you can plow pvc no problem , been doing it for 25 years , from 3/4 inch to 1.5 inch .
Old 07-31-2011, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
How in the world do you guys in Texas and surrounding areas work in heat like that ALL the time. Like I said,it was really hot and humid here last week with the heat index near 115 and some places near 120,but ,we do not get that for long periods.Luckily it only lasted 3 days.
It's not easy.
I have to quit drinking coffee and really moderate my alcohol consumption to keep from getting too dehydrated.
Plus I gotta take vitamin supplements to keep from getting severe muscle cramps.
The heat index values here typically haven't gotten above 106, which is barely tolerable. I've dealt with a heat index of 121 before and was hardly able to get anything done.

On the bright side it'll be in the 60's in a few months and we'll all be wearing our winter sweaters.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkus View Post
................On the bright side it'll be in the 60's in a few months and we'll all be wearing our winter sweaters.
may all your PVBs under warranty freeze and break this winter