Register free!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Solitaire-Nutsedge question

Anyone know does Solitaire kill the tubers as well as the exposed area of nutsedge?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use Solitaire for Nutsedge and Crabgrass control. I only spot spray as needed. It works well. If it is damaging the tubers, it may not be completely on all plants because typically I will find more nutsedge on return. It always takes out what I sprayed so I suspect no to complete tuber kill or smaller plants being missed when I spray. Very persistance plant and seemes to be requiring a second or third app. to completely control.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The reason I asked is I'm trying to manage 2 acres & last year had 2 really really bad areas of nutsedge. Sprayed the max allowed last year of Sedgehammer & while it has come back this year with a vengeance it still is maybe 60% of what I had last year. I did a blanket app with Solitaire a couple weeks ago which worked very well at 1lb/acre. I'm trying to determine whether or not to stay with the Solitaire because it manages much more than just the Sedgehammer or do I do another app of Sedgehammer to get to the tubers. I'm trying to turn 2 acres of "yard" into 2 acres of "lawn". It's definitely a financial commitment as neither product is inexpensive.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Basagran is still the best

I've had the best (permanent) kill with Basagran (bentazon) from BASF.

"Manage" was fairly decent (halosulfulron-methyl - Monsanto), but the next year, nutsedge appeared again in many areas. BTW, "Sledgehammer" is the same thing.

I used "Dismiss" last year cuz a salesman said it was awesome.....but this year, the same properties are getting yellow nutsedge again. So I was not impressed. (FMC, sulfentazone)

Been treating yellow nutsedge for over 30 years, and Basagran still offers the best KILL regarding nutsedge IMO.

I'm tired of playing games with these so called new products that don't work/last. Sometimes it's best to use the tried & true.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

boy does that ring a bell larry, meaning the damages you saw while here from imprelis.

i have never conisdered basagran. please divulge more info. resrictions, cost, etc. i do like sulfentrazone as it does a very good job and does have a decent amount of suppression , and is cheap for the most part especially mixed in surge or q4.

please tell me more on how you use this product.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Halosulfuron works better on Purple Nutsedge, a little weak on Yellow and useless on kyllinga species. For whatever reason, Basagran is extremely effective on Yellow Nutsedge and kyllinga. In my state, Basagran was unheard of except by the people that knew their shizz. It was always halosulfuron for everything. Guess what? Halosulfuron will cause a lawn to shift from Purple Nutsedge to kyllinga. But the unqualified people like the fact that it comes in 0.9 gram dose packages that will make 1 gallon of finished solution.

Basagran is a pretty economical product. Costs around $120 a gallon. Applied at 1 Quart per acre at the following parameters:spray volume 20-40 gallons per acre, flat fan tips with at least 40 PSI at the boom, and crop oil or MSO as the surfactant. You are limited to 2 applications per year. One more thing that I find attractive about this product is how friendly it is to surrounding vegetation. Most trees and shrubs are not permanently damaged or killed by small amounts of drift. Anything "sulfuron" or sulfentrazone can kill or permanently damage many shrubs. Try to apply this when there will be warm, sunny weather for the week after application. Under those conditions, it will burn down target weeds within 7 days.

I am not Larry, but I have been using Basagran in turf for almost 20 years myself. My reason for even knowing what it is goes back to the need to treat kyllinga in seashore paspalum. Image and Halosulfuron were the two big sedge herbicides back then. Image is a bad product to apply to seashore paspalum. It will damage it badly. Fast forward to now, the local golf courses are starting to use Basagran to get a handle on the kyllinga that has come up because of constant use of Halosulfuron.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-29-2011, 04:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, a thousand years ago I was using a mix of Atrazine and Basagram as THE ONLY herbicide for warm season turf. Don't try this on fescue!!! This was before Image and all the rest. I still use it sometimes for yellow nutsedge and Kyliinga as Greendoctor mentioned. The only restriction is heat because of the Atrazine. Up to about 85 is the max for it. Wonderful in spring and fall. Yea ole Basagran--R, Last gallon I bought was considerable cheaper--thinking about $49 but that was years ago--but not quite a thousand.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Compared to the one month wait for a "sulfuron" to kill kyllinga, not to mention the mean price tag per acre, Basagran was always attractive. I never had Prompt(bentazon+atrazine) here. No one knew what that was and the DOA did not like the atrazine. Back then, it was MSMA for everything. However MSMA is only a top burn on sedges. Basagran is systemic in susceptible sedges.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Halosulfuron works better on Purple Nutsedge, a little weak on Yellow and useless on kyllinga species. For whatever reason, Basagran is extremely effective on Yellow Nutsedge and kyllinga. In my state, Basagran was unheard of except by the people that knew their shizz. It was always halosulfuron for everything. Guess what? Halosulfuron will cause a lawn to shift from Purple Nutsedge to kyllinga. But the unqualified people like the fact that it comes in 0.9 gram dose packages that will make 1 gallon of finished solution.

Basagran is a pretty economical product. Costs around $120 a gallon. Applied at 1 Quart per acre at the following parameters:spray volume 20-40 gallons per acre, flat fan tips with at least 40 PSI at the boom, and crop oil or MSO as the surfactant. You are limited to 2 applications per year. One more thing that I find attractive about this product is how friendly it is to surrounding vegetation. Most trees and shrubs are not permanently damaged or killed by small amounts of drift. Anything "sulfuron" or sulfentrazone can kill or permanently damage many shrubs. Try to apply this when there will be warm, sunny weather for the week after application. Under those conditions, it will burn down target weeds within 7 days.

I am not Larry, but I have been using Basagran in turf for almost 20 years myself. My reason for even knowing what it is goes back to the need to treat kyllinga in seashore paspalum. Image and Halosulfuron were the two big sedge herbicides back then. Image is a bad product to apply to seashore paspalum. It will damage it badly. Fast forward to now, the local golf courses are starting to use Basagran to get a handle on the kyllinga that has come up because of constant use of Halosulfuron.
We have primarily St. Augustine variety turfs. How well do you think St Augustine will hold up to Basagran. I assume you see a lot of St. Augustine on the islands.

I've been using Sedge Hammer, but it's an endless battle to manage it down to an accptable level.

I don't think even Saharah will supress the crap.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Basagran by itself is very safe on st augustine. Take note of application requirements and the fact that it does nothing to Purple Nutsedge. As for totally killing sedges and everything else, nothing beats Hyvar X + Oust. Say good bye to trees, and all grasses though. I do believe that usage of Hyvar is limited in certain areas of Florida due to a high water table.