Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2011, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

help me with a shop

I'm looking to build a shop to store/operate/repair out of. Right now I'm a one crew mowing company. I also do apps. So I have mowers, aerators, ride on sprayer etc. I'm going to build something with the anticipation of 2 crews and repair area. I'm thinking 3000 sq ft, 50x60 with 2 roll up doors. I'd like to be able to back my truck/trailer in and then close the door.

What size shop are you guys in? Any recommendations on size? I'd like to store some fertilizer, pine straw, etc and also have room for all the equipment.

In looking online at buildings do you do 12 ga or 14 ga? Insulated or not (I'm in North Carolina so very little snow and winter night lows in the single digets are rare.

Any advice or help would be great since I need to get some quotes, but want to know what I really need and want. I also have to get the land rezoned to accomodate a shop.
www.grassmasterswilson.com
Old 07-31-2011, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You could save a little money, if you put your straw/pine needles/etc... in a lean-to type bldg.. No use is totally securing these items, since risk of theft would be minimal.

If your trailers are able to be locked @ the gate, you could also store these (plural?) in a similar type setup.

I have a 500SF fully enclosed bldg. with one roll-up. I also have a 12'x16' (fully enclosed) I can lock equip. in. Between them, I have one of those 2 car "garages" that's open on the front and rear (would be open on the sides, but it sits between the two bldgs.). I keep my trailer under the 2 car. I'm also able to lock the rear gate on my trailer, so it won't raise/lower. It would take a cutting torch to drop the gate to steal my heavier equip..

ONLY reason, I'd enclose everything, is so I could heat/cool it (if I wanted to).
Old 07-31-2011, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

yeah. I'm trying to get some ideas about what people like and don't like. I don't think I need insulated since here in NC it doesn't get that cold. I'm thinking I can always insulate my chemical cage area myself.

I really want a place that I can put my loaded trailer in and not have to unload while keeping it out of the weather. I don't know if it is worth going smaller on the building and fencing in part of the lot for outside storage. I'm only one crew now and the truck is used for personal use. If I build something I want to think about the future. I don't want to come back in a year and need to expand.

If anyone you have list of must haves in your shops that would be great.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is this at your residence? For the repair area is it for your stuff only or going to advertise repair also?

This adds alot of overhead (cost, taxes, upkeep, etc). Can one or two crews support the extra expense? Guessing 3 to 4 crews makes the cost managable.

I'm in the same boat as you. Have thought of going enclosed or npr's to keep stuff out of the elements compared to a building. I would say having a large building I would want to have it off my residence and in a retail/commerical setting, adding repair or equipment sales to help offset costs as a long term goal.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a Menards store near you, you can go to their "building" department. You tell them exactly what you want, and they can bring it up on their computer. They will offer different grades of materials as well as any option you want. I'm talkin' sky lights, vents, guage of steel, sizes & types of doors, etc, etc, etc. They will print off a copy for you to keep with no obligation, and you can always go back to Menards & tweak the design as you see fit. Menards will also provide a list of local contractors who can do whatever parts of the construction you want. BTW these contractors are "graded" by Menards using feedback from customers who have used them.

1) Build it bigger than what you think you need.
2) Consider a "man cave" section for you & the guys to hang out. (this also comes in handy when you want to get away from the wife, or have friends over)
3) You will have to submit a building permit (dimensions of building & your property, etc), but most contractors will be able to do this for you at an additional charge.

my 2 cents - Good investment, Best of luck
Old 07-31-2011, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont want to think for you or tell you what to do. However, when I was similar sized years ago, I kept all my mowers and fert equipment in enclosed trailers in store n lock parking spots. The guys would report, take their truck/trailer and do their route. Come back, park, and repeat. Just recently, because of how many spaces I was renting, it was actually more affordable to lease a commercial facility.

Advise: dont do anything that the numbers do not justify! Dont build a barn because you WANT it. I wanted a barn for years (as I was doing maintenance all times of the year exposed to the elements). Now that the numbers justify the expense, I have what I want. I have a semi and a half of fert in my building, all my winter equipment is inside, and best of all - so is my skidsteer and forklift.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Is this at your residence? For the repair area is it for your stuff only or going to advertise repair also?

This adds alot of overhead (cost, taxes, upkeep, etc). Can one or two crews support the extra expense? Guessing 3 to 4 crews makes the cost managable.

I'm in the same boat as you. Have thought of going enclosed or npr's to keep stuff out of the elements compared to a building. I would say having a large building I would want to have it off my residence and in a retail/commerical setting, adding repair or equipment sales to help offset costs as a long term goal.
Not at my house. I'm operating out of a rented mini storage unit. This will be solely for my stuff. No customers. Although wholesale pinestraw could be a possibility in the future. I'm looking at a place out in the country outside the city limits.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Shop around. You may be able to rent some commercial space. Lots available in my town. If you grow--rent a bigger place.

What are the pesticide requirements in your state? Special storage? Rinse pad? Containment? Locks? Lighting? Ventilation? No floor drain?

Fertilizer attracts a lot of moisture from the air in hot weather. I am not sure there is a way to prevent this--short of AC, but consider humidity. Do you need to store grass seed? Plan to wash inside? Need to prevent freezing of chemicals or pumps? Do you plan on pallet racks for storage? Loading ramp? Truck dock? Lift truck? Do you need a place to attach a chainfall for hoisting? Can you remove skid sprayer easily? Lift your plows? If you have water in building--employee bathroom and shower, breakroom, drinking fountain and a means to fill tanks--then do you need to prevent freezing? If you store pine straw is it a fire hazard? Will chemical odors be a problem? Do you plan to paint equipment in the winter? (Not too cold, odor and fire hazard).
Old 07-31-2011, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I may suggest a larger building than you want now. I'm sure your good at what you do and you will expand biz. I rent part of a shop now, over 4000 sq feet and with all me equipment trucks, trailers, product, there is not enough room. I would build a 200000 shop rent out half and that way you will have room for expansion when you need it.

2011 has been a great year so far and will continue to get better!!!!

Goos luck all1
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2011, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I'm looking to build a shop to store/operate/repair out of. Right now I'm a one crew mowing company. I also do apps. So I have mowers, aerators, ride on sprayer etc. I'm going to build something with the anticipation of 2 crews and repair area. I'm thinking 3000 sq ft, 50x60 with 2 roll up doors. I'd like to be able to back my truck/trailer in and then close the door.

What size shop are you guys in? Any recommendations on size? I'd like to store some fertilizer, pine straw, etc and also have room for all the equipment.

In looking online at buildings do you do 12 ga or 14 ga? Insulated or not (I'm in North Carolina so very little snow and winter night lows in the single digets are rare.

Any advice or help would be great since I need to get some quotes, but want to know what I really need and want. I also have to get the land rezoned to accomodate a shop.

Grab a good ole Bargin Trader at one of the local gas stations and you will see plenty metal shop builders lookin work. I also think you should build a shop a little bigger than you need, if you have the money and land. They fill up with junk real quick.

Where can I get some Talstar in the Wilson area? I just got my pesticide license and need to get ride of some fire ants.