Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2011, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Diesel Emissions crap

What are the latest model GM and Dodge diesels that dont have the difficult emissions junk? Can the stuff be easily deleted from the newer trucks after warranty runs out?
Old 08-02-2011, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

,07 and up have the DPF..Except the 07 gm classic, they are emission free

The '11 GM have the DPF and DEF. not sure if the '10 have the DEF??

IIRC Dodge '10 and up cab and chassis have the DEF but the pick ups dont untill '12

The DPF can be deleted easly with a programer and exhaust..Not sure on the DEF thou
Old 08-04-2011, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

deleted the dpf on my 09 ford 6.4 and its like i put a new motor in there. just completely changes the truck for the better. got a mod friendly dealer though...
Old 08-04-2011, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For the 07 dodges its only the second halfof 07's. I have an 07 Dodge ram with a 5.9 liter deisel no emmisions.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 07.5 Cummins 6.7, deleted and it's awesome. I'm almost positive EVERY new diesel can be deleted. I know H&S performance makes delete tuners for all of the new diesels.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The Dodges went with DPF's in 2007.5 when they switched to the 6.7. I have an 09 that is deleted. I used the Smarty with the ME (Middle East) software to turn off the emissions. I also have an Airdog to supply the injectors with pure diesel. I did the 5" turbo back exhaust with an Edge CT gauge for monitoring EGT's, and boost.

The Cummins engine in the Ram is made by the largest Diesel engine manufacturer in the world. The 6.7 is certified for rebuild intervals of 300,000 miles which beats both GM & Ford. The pistons, block, rods, and just about everything is built stronger in the Cummins. There are guys getting 1000 horsepower out of modified 6.7's with stock internals. Try this with a Ford or GM and you will bend rods and break all kinds of things.
The Duramax is not a bad engine and is a world better then a 6.0 or 6.4 Ford with an International engine under the hood. But the Duramax has had a few issues that make it not quite as durable as the Cummins.

Ford has a brand new untested 6.7 engine that I think you'd be crazy to buy just yet. There are a lot of guys who have actually removed the International engine in their Ford and replaced it with a Cummins. They love the Ford truck but hate the engines.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

The 6.7 Cummins is having all kinds of problems due to the emissions equipment.

You can eliminate any emissions equipment you want. It's just a matter of 1: getting it to pass your local emissions/inspection requirements if applicable 2: Are you willing to pay the $10,000+ fines if you are caught with your emissions equipment removed?

It just takes time and money to remove emissions equipment. Just gotta find the right people to do it or teach you how.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

10k fine? Any back up info on that?
Old 08-10-2011, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket View Post
The 6.7 Cummins is having all kinds of problems due to the emissions equipment.

You can eliminate any emissions equipment you want. It's just a matter of 1: getting it to pass your local emissions/inspection requirements if applicable 2: Are you willing to pay the $10,000+ fines if you are caught with your emissions equipment removed?

It just takes time and money to remove emissions equipment. Just gotta find the right people to do it or teach you how.
Dodge & Cummins were the first one to bite the bullet and meet 2010 emissions requirements back in 2007.5. They had some challenges and many software updates were required to get the DPF dialed in.

There are some oil field hot shot guys with over 300K on their trucks now with no problems. Longevity is still proving to be very good. The people having problems are a small minority. One of the nice things about the Cummins is that no DEF fluid is required just yet. With Ford and Duramax you've got to stock up on DEF. If you run out the truck goes into limp mode and will operate at half power.

Here in Texas there are no inspections for the emissions stuff on light duty Diesels unless they have a commercial registration. My 09' 3500 has no emissions equipment on it and it is registered as commercial because I own trailers that put my GCWR over 26,000. Lets just say I know a guy.

I picked up 2 mpg by deleting all my emissions stuff. I spent about $2500 doing some emissions and performance work to my truck. In less then 100,000 miles I'll get my investment back and start saving money. There are many thousands of deleted truck running around the country. The Ford & Duramax guys can stop using DEF if they do a delete which gives them an even bigger reason to delete.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSnyder View Post
I have a 07.5 Cummins 6.7, deleted and it's awesome. I'm almost positive EVERY new diesel can be deleted. I know H&S performance makes delete tuners for all of the new diesels.
I went the Smarty ME route and love it. I had a Smarty on my 02' as well. Just don't push your luck with the higher HP tunes with a stock tranny. I don't run higher then the 65 HP setting.

With a 5" TBE you can really hear the exhaust brake. When it kicks in the truck sounds like an M1 tank. I did an Airdog to make sure my fuel filtration was pure and free of entrained air.

I'd love to do a Suncoast Comp Trans but the $9000 price is hard to hide from my wife.