Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2011, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best benefit for these summer lawns

Last year, crabgrass was a big problem on the lawns that I don't mow. On the lawns I mow, they get mowed properly as well as I am there every week to keep an eye on things. It's the fert only lawns that I seem to have any real problems on. After the hot and dryer than usual summer we had last year and by the time round 4 came to, many lawns had gotten out of hand. That prompted me to add an extra round to show up on a customers lawn this year. I added a 6th round. This got me on each lawn every 6 weeks. I didnít receive a single complaint from a customer.

The truth is, none of my lawns really need another app but I do want to be on each lawn every six weeks. I don't want to just put down an app, but want to go spray for any weeds, crabgrass, nutsedge. Check for bug damage or fungus issues. I could lay down something like Milorganite but would be way too costly to apply at the same cost of an app. To put down the same amount as the cost of an app doesn't seem to be of that much of a benefit.

I guess basically I have already contracted with each customer to show up to apply an application. I just want to make it to their lawns best benefit. Make it worth the price that they are paying me to be there. Any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2011, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

im in NE ohio too

i will be putting down dimension apps in the fall and next spring, some old timers told me this works well

im also hoping it will help oxalis problems
lawnboy 21
bobcat 36 48 wb
redmax trimmers blowers
traler vac 16hp vanguard
scag sw52a-17ka
350 dump

lesco spreaders and tanks
Old 07-31-2011, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fixtrot, you are on the right track. Take soil for a soil test? Slow-release fert (designed for hot weather) with a partial organic component, maybe iron, (if no other problems). Maybe two blends--one for irrigated--one for non-irrigated.
Crabgrass is getting strong around here. Hot weather followed by a good heavy rain--crabgrass really loves that. Couple neighbors did not treat--near 100 percent crabgrass now.
Spurge, nutsedge, crabgrass, oxalis, fungus, grubs, insects, moles you should be plenty busy. Fall renovations and seeding start in two weeks.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mowing higher, or not at all... irrigating and feeding lawns that have a CG problem only makes that problem worse...
It's fine to 'be there' more often, but unless you at least to try to advise the client, wisely there is not much sense to it...