Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2011, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

How to land the good commercial accounts?

We are a young company that is doing well. We have been in business for a little less than 2 years. I would like to see our business really take off. However, we are having no luck with commerical/HOA accounts. What is the best way for us to get our foot in the door? I am based out of Concord/Charlotte North Carolina. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-02-2011, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my suggestion is that you use the search function for this site
Old 08-02-2011, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

While I understand a search feature is available to all, why respond to someone's inquiry with "use the search function"? Turfking, I picked up an HOA account and several businesses by referrals. get the word out to your customers that you are looking to expand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2011, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

most of the time, it's either who you know, or being lowest bidder. That being said, there is no real 'answer.' You'll have to start off with the small properties. Most of the 'big' places want references and experience. Also, for a small company, there is more loyalty and ways to make money with residential. Think about it. Residental wants to have a nice place, commercial needs to have a nice place to attract customers, clients, etc. Want vs. need.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander316 View Post
most of the time, it's either who you know, or being lowest bidder. That being said, there is no real 'answer.' You'll have to start off with the small properties. Most of the 'big' places want references and experience. Also, for a small company, there is more loyalty and ways to make money with residential. Think about it. Residental wants to have a nice place, commercial needs to have a nice place to attract customers, clients, etc. Want vs. need.
Exactly. I would stick with residential. "they are loyal" if you do a good job and you do what you say. High end residential will help your business take off faster than any commercial property. A commercial property will shitcan you for a guy who will do it $10 cheaper!
Old 08-02-2011, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStateTurfKing View Post
We are a young company that is doing well. We have been in business for a little less than 2 years. I would like to see our business really take off. However, we are having no luck with commerical/HOA accounts. What is the best way for us to get our foot in the door? I am based out of Concord/Charlotte North Carolina. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Wouldn't we all!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

DOnt get too excited. calm down..... the fastest and best way to " BREAK IN " is to go to appartment's..... the girls are very easy...... just drop in and say hi. give her a card and ask her whos' doing the grounds ? and are then happy with it. REGUARDLESS of what she says. then ask her if you can look around....

After a day or two. show up again. and point out issues you have noticed. and ask her if there have been any complants.......

REGUARDLESS OF WHAT SHE SAYS..... ask her what are the requirements they require.
" INUSRANCE, WC "

ask her if there has ever been any emeragancys that she's aware of, like storms that have knocked down trees/ branches. and ask her how did there LC handle this ?

then let a few days go by and ask her if she's free for lunch....

GET a lunch date with her, and REMAIN PROFESSIONAL AT ALL TIMES.... CALL HER MA'AM. talk about the owners. ask her If she knows how much there paying out for LC....

After you have developed a repor with her, submit a bid. keep in touch with her.

IT"S NOT the lowest BID always.....

and remember. you will NOT click with everyone you meet. KEEP doing this and you will land appartment buldings.

after you get HER likeing you. she will talk..... TRUST ME, WOMEN TALK....
Old 08-17-2011, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone that knows how to land good commercial accounts isn't gonna post that on this site!!!

Why would anyone post the real reasons they are successful on here? Then every jobber on this board in that area is gonna do the same thing and ruin it for the "real" successful guy!

Here's my 2 cents, you don't need commercial to be successful, in fact stay as far away from them as possible.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-18-2011, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, first of all with commerical account/condo's. All associations have a Board of Director's for the condo's, then they hire a firm called Property Manager to manage the maint. fee, all maint items, taxes, ins., lawn care, board meeting,etc. You need to get to know a board member, one of their friends, property manager and start there. All of these people have money that own these condo's , high end. We have six of the High Rise here on the beach in Venice, FL. I would have to mow alot of lawn to equal what they paid us. Most of these condo's all know each other as with the BOD. They do expect it all to be perfect, not just so,so.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of the responses. I understand know one wants to give away all of their secrets. I am not of any competition to anyone unless you are in the NC and SC area. I am going to stick with the high end residential market no matter what commercial accounts we land. The residential market is tough because you have to be selective on the customers that you want to work for. I do not see my business as a mow blow and go operation. I did that back in high school and when I first started right out of college to get my name out there. I understand completely that bills have to be paid, but most customers who just want you to mow every now then are of no interest to me. I did not invest in a great education and work my tail off about every day to pull off a property an feel no satisfaction with the work we have done. Unless the customer wants their property to be the best on the block then we really do not have much of an interest. I do not mean to sound cocky or arrogant but its just the way it is. It is not a job, it is a lifestyle