Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2011, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Where to build a site? Try WordPress

Getting a site built is a pretty hot topic, so - as someone who knows a bit about this area - I thought I'd chime in..

First off, there are so many DIY website building tools out there nowadays that you no longer have to hire someone to build one from the ground up (at least not if you're just looking for a basic marketing website, which I imagine 99.99% of readers on this forum are).

A few of the leading platforms out there today for websites/blogs are WordPress, Posterous, Weebly and Tumblr, each of which have their own benefits and drawbacks.

For a basic site, I'd recommend WordPress. We use it for our blogs/local websites and we're very pleased. Last month, in fact, it was announced that they now host over 50 million websites - from small businesses to prominent, high-traffic blogs, such as TechCrunch, TED, CNN & the NFL.

Not only does WP have a robust Content Management System [CMS] (i.e. how you control what appears online), but it's design framework is very flexible. All four of these platforms provide users with standard design templates to choose from and if you want an even more customized look for your site, it's not too hard to find a solution.

One option is to have a design template custom built - which is what we did for our local sites. The best place to find a WP designer these days is Sortfolio.

Another option is to buy a pre-made premium theme. ThemeForest has thousands available at very reasonable prices (around $10 for many).
__

If anyone has any specific questions on this topic, let me know. I'm happy to share any additional info I can --

Marc

Tags
blog , design , marketing , website , wordpress