Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2002, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Employee Pay Advances

What method do you use to document that an advance was paid? Do you have a ledger book or do you have an employee sign something?
Darb
Old 10-26-2002, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No pay advances. It costs enought of keep track of payroll, who's going to pay me to take the extra time to figure it all out and document it. Not a good policy to start. If you do it for one, all will expect it. No, payday is Friday.

Scott

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 10-27-2002, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

wouldn't the cheque & bank statement be proof???

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 10-27-2002, 04:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I swear.......

a loooong time ago there were some "contract" type forms floating around here for giving loans to employees.

Personally, unless it was for a really justified reason, I would stay away from the situation. But, if you are going to fo this, I'd say you should definetly make up some kind of form they could sign. Also, if you have a lawyer, I would ask him to write a simple form that could hold up in small claims court if you ever have to go after the money later.

Good Luck!
Old 10-27-2002, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

If I remember correctly we are landscapers and not loan officers.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Darb,

Take it from my experiences and don't start this. No matter how good of worker they are. You have to remember you are the employer and they are the empoyee. Let me ask you a question.

Have you ever asked a former boss for a loan??? I certainly have not. If I couldn't get it on my own then I went to the bank.

MARK DOUGLAS
Old 10-27-2002, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. I will take it. I don't need anymore troubles. Thanks for keeping me straight on this.
Darb
Old 10-27-2002, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We pay every other Friday. Never early and never late. The company does not give loans or advances.

Now - on a personal note, I might choose to loan a guy $5.00 for lunch providing he's going to pay me back. That's another issue.

I would share with you a theory that someone explained to me... makes sense, and I try to follow it. I digress for a moment...

"The bubble theory". We each live in our own bubbles - our family is our bubble. You bubble comes first. Everything you do effects your bubble. Concentrate on your own bubble before you worry about someone else outside of your bubble. It's not that you can't be compasionate, but you just have to make sure everything inside of your bubble is "right" before you venture out of it to help others. If things are good - and you can, go outside of your bubble and help those that you feel you can in ways that won't effect your bubble negatively. If things change for the worse in your bubble, stop concentrating on everyone else and go back to focusing on your bubble, and your bubble alone until you can look back outside of it.

Simple concept - seems easy to follow. But all too often we see people outside their bubbles tyring to help everyone else when their own life could use focus and attention. Usually it's the people trying to escape their own problems out there trying to help everyone else to be a hero.

This is a little off subject - but it comes to mind when I think about loaning people money. If you can great - just don't let it interfere with your life. Recogize what impact loaning money has - to anyone. Ask yourself... why does this person need the money and are you enabling them? Or will they take that money and make something with it and further themselves as a result of your help/compassion? And lastly, my personal opinion, if you do loan money - charge interest. Not because you're trying to make money, but because it's a business transaction.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:49 PM

Dont start it man. I can tell you it causes problems. I had a guy that could not manage his $ pay check to pay check. Because I am a nice guy (you know what they say about nice guys finishing last, that would be me) I paid him in advance for several weeks. When I put a stop to it, then he was gone. Turned me into labor department, told em a bunch of lies about me, perjured himself to them. Any way when I told my side of the story he shut up and scrammed. They could tell who was lying then.

It only causes trouble.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thinking about it, i've loaned small amounts to one of our guys, but he is my biz partners brother. it was my decision to do so, as far as the partner was concerned he said it was his brothers problem.

never done it otherwise, and really doubt i would. emergency only.

Sir Winston Churchill