Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2011, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maryland/Baltimore guys what kind of year you having?

I work up in north and north east Baltimore county and its been pretty dry this year. My customers seem more willing to spend this year on landscaping
so its not all bad.

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 08-03-2011, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I just have three big properties, one of them commercial but so far the year has been ok. We've been getting just enough rain for some green and the weeds of corse, enough to cut at least every other week. Here lately though it's hard seeing the grass (what there is of it) for the dust generated. Did one of my properties in Reisterstown the other day (4 acres) and must have eaten about a pound of dried grass chaf.

Kevin
Old 08-03-2011, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a buddy in MD and he's having a lot of trouble. He's in the Annapolis area. I think his problems stem more from his new payment policies though. He's cut out all monthly billings and demands payment when the cut is completed. I know that area very well since I mowed there for 12 years. Monthly billings are required if you want to get the better clientèle. He goes around collecting like a paperboy every week wasting gobs of gas doing it.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I drive through a couple towns along the way when I run my route. A ton of places are completely brown in one of the towns. The last one is a few miles from my place. It's getting pretty bad. We got a good rain today that lasted most of the day so things should turn around for a few weeks anyway.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i mostly mow in the valley and cow county it has really been hit or miss with rain i have several that are nice and green but like my own yard i haven mowed it in at least a month. but right now i have been working on replacing almost a 1000' of fence and running a new waterline for a livestock water. and RGM were you at the 7-11 on beaver dam last week in the morning?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Two words...... Not Good.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Despite the intense heat and lack of rainfall to keep up with the heat July turned out to be a good month for me. I had some landscaping job opportunities when I didn't cut and that made the difference.

We've had some better temps and .6 inch of rain to start off August so if we can just build on that we'll be in good shape for this month.

I ask the Lord Jesus Christs blessings over my business and he has always provided over and above in ways I could never imagine.

Go with God and you can't go wrong.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS Lawns View Post
Despite the intense heat and lack of rainfall to keep up with the heat July turned out to be a good month for me. I had some landscaping job opportunities when I didn't cut and that made the difference.

We've had some better temps and .6 inch of rain to start off August so if we can just build on that we'll be in good shape for this month.

I ask the Lord Jesus Christs blessings over my business and he has always provided over and above in ways I could never imagine.

Go with God and you can't go wrong.

Sorry I didn't really answer the question.

Income wise its been a good year, I'm running a little above projections for the year.

As we've all experienced the weather has been less than desirable this summer but you just roll with it.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS Lawns View Post
Sorry I didn't really answer the question.

Income wise its been a good year, I'm running a little above projections for the year.

As we've all experienced the weather has been less than desirable this summer but you just roll with it.

Thats 6 tenths of rain. Its hard to see the point in my first reply.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

DC area is pretty bad. There is something weird with the weather going on called the DC Split. It rains everywhere around us, but as soon as the front approaches DC, it's like Moses parted the waters. Strangely, despite the drought, the humidity and nighttime highs have set records, making fungus the worst I have ever seen. Lots of brown patch, p. blight, you name it, despite the drought. We also have a lot of TT Tall Fescue here, and its very fungus prone and doing bad. Plus, it never fills in like KBG, so a lot of clumpy lawns out there.