Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-04-2011, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Jewgrass taking over lawn

Japanese stiltgrass or jewgrass is 1/2 of a sprawling lawn of 1 acre. What product to use without killing the lawn? There must be product out there. Is there equipment that can thatch it out? The roots are very shallow.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

any response? Located on Long Island, NY
Old 08-06-2011, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Japanese Stiltgrass... help me get rid of it

Please help me rid of it without killing lawn. NY.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2011, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Doctor came for an eval and says its early crabgrass. I dont beleive it. Help.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

He's an idiot...I'm working on it. So far, Vantage or sethoxydim will damage it. However, still working on "If it will kill your fescue". I havn't forgotten. Where you don't have turf such as wooded area try he Vantage. You may have to order it online. Just google Vantage herbicide. In the spring make sure that you get your dimension pre-em out early in Mid-February to Mid March and apply it every 60 days through the season. Most people get lazy and quite their pre-em way too early. If you have any way to apply wet-herbicide, Gallery would be far better applying it also every 60 days.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

so its definitely not a type of crabgrass?? He was guaranteeing it was and also guaranteeing that the product he put down would work. He said cross power seed first and then use Dimension (not sure if its for fall or early spring).
Old 08-08-2011, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a new lawn doc. That's not crabgrass.

According to the label, Acclaim will kill this. I've never tried it, though I may be, soon. I'm planning a renovation.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That is not crabgrass. National outfits hire techs that are trained by the season. Right now is crabgrass season, so they will tell everyone that there is crabgrass, then in a month they will tell everyone that they need aeration and overseeding. Their timing is correct, but more often than not they suggest a treatment that is not needed. There are good operators, but it doesn't sound like you got one.

Anyways, stiltgrass in your lawn will likely not go to seed if you mow frequently. For now that is your best bet. Next year make sure you get proper pre emergent treatments.

As for the overseeding. Well all I can tell you is that if you seed than put down dimension than you are wasting your money cause the dimension will not allow the seed to germinate.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Its hard to get alot of detail on your pic of that weed but i think that it is "Smartweed". Here a link:

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/pests/i...weeds/#page=13
Old 08-09-2011, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Member

joelcoqui - Like I responded in another thread, that's japanese stiltgrass and Acclaim Extra will kill it and not harm your lawn. I took pictures of my now dead stiltgrass, but am having trouble posting them here on lawnsite.com. I spot sprayed the stiltgrass about 2 weeks ago and it's now dried up and dead... Email me at rundugrun(at)yahoo(dot)com and I'll send you the pictures.

Doug