Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2010, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mega clocks, who's who?

I've got one (maybe my last) mega sitting in the wings; wondered about Calsense for years, finally got a spec binder, Dr. Malt and I looked it over and both decided Rain Master wins, hands down. Anyone else doing mega, and what do you spec? Dan, would you still use Maxi, in spite of the huge (even in mega-speak) cost?
Old 04-24-2010, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I've got one (maybe my last) mega sitting in the wings; wondered about Calsense for years, finally got a spec binder, Dr. Malt and I looked it over and both decided Rain Master wins, hands down. Anyone else doing mega, and what do you spec? Dan, would you still use Maxi, in spite of the huge (even in mega-speak) cost?
If I was going to do another central I'd go with the ET Water central system. Of all of them that I have looked at I'm most impressed with it. I've heard that Rain Master is having some issues as they are being forced to migrate from a paging based technology to a cellular based form of communication. That coupled with Toro coming up with the brilliant idea to move all of the Rain Master manufacturing to Mexico would pretty much keep me from using Rain Master any time soon.

If the implementation was a huge campus or large commercial site I'd still consider Maxi-Com. Maxi-Com is expensive to implement but you own the system and the hardware is tried and true. You're not relying on somebody to provide the service. That is the only thing that worries me about Hydropoint, ET Water and Rain Master system is that you don't own everything. You are reliant on the manufacturer to provide the online service and airtime. At least Rain Master isn't in danger of going away anytime soon. Calsense appears to be a lot like Maxi-Com in that once you buy it, you own it. I've never played with their controllers or hardware so I know very little about their system.

I just did a Rain Bird IQ central control for the 4 commercial properties that I own myself. It's a phone based system and was the easiest for us to implement for our setup. Right now it's got limited ET scheduling and very crude flow monitoring but from what I'm told that will all change by fall of this year. The IQ system (according to the RB Rep) is supposed to get flow monitoring (so is the ESP-LX-Modular) as well as some more robust ET scheduling features.

The good thing is that there is enough competition in the central control market that there is a solution from at least one manufacturer for just about every budget and situation.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Signature, then ETW, RM. My preference.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I see a lot of MOTOROLA in Richardson.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Got curious about the MOTOROLAs. They had two different booths at the PROGREEN show. Maybe Dan has feedback on them. I'm curious as to the reputation. See a lot of them in TX. Might be a regional thing as well. They have two suppliers in TX of maybe 10 total in the country.

http://www.inter-spec.com/icc.htm
Old 04-25-2010, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoskm01 View Post
Signature, then ETW, RM. My preference.
Who is ETW? Link?
Old 04-25-2010, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ET Water.......
Old 04-25-2010, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the link, Mr. Michael. A google search did no good.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sure would like to check one out. Maybe I'll have a chance at the show in December?
Old 04-25-2010, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had trouble with a Maxi system where we could not access it in the field and had to dink around waiting for someone at the Central Command Center to turn on a zone; never again; I will only install clocks that can work in "stand alone" and/or Central.