Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-22-2011, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Interesting...
The 895cc Vanguard is about 31 HP. When running on Propane, the HP drops to around 30. I almost purchased the 32 HP gasoline for this reason, but only have a small area where the bahia is so thick that I have to slow down a bit to prevent bogging. I was sold on the propane due to the lack of fuel related problems.
As far as pulling from both tanks, I don't see anything in the lines that prevent this and I haven't had any issues in doing so. I'll give it a closer look tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Darn , I could have met up with you the country is small. I bought a Ferris IS3100zp it comes set up with propane. I have not done anything else to it except remove the rear discharge baffle, Thanks Atlantistom. It works alot better with that out. Have not removed striper but will do. Aside from the Ferris I have an 05 Hustler Z 60" gas with a new 27 kohler engine that has maybe 70hours on it. I would love to convert that to propane also, as long as i would not loose my blade tip speed. I have 2 FS250's, 1 Husqvarna 143R, stihl blower, and edger. I think im the only commercial lawn buis in the country. LOL
Old 09-28-2011, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

if u like ur mower ck and see if a bobcat predator pro lp is available in your area and demo one comes with a 30 hp generac that is actully 30 hp generac is the only engine manufacturer that rates there engines true hp every other kawi kohler brigs are all about 10 - 30 percent less than stated due 2 the fact there tested with no muffler no air filter
Old 09-28-2011, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Use fuel calculator at www.gogreenmetrolawn.com to check out the savings for your specific use. The horse power should not vary much with propane conversion but if it is a vapor delivery system then the hesitation you have with gasoline to flash in the carborator is gone as propane is a vapor and burns instanly. This does help with thicker grass situations and can give the feel of more horse power because of the instant ignition. The only cons we have come across in the US is propane availibility and knowledge of doing the proper conversions. Metro Lawn addresses both of these issues and delivers both.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groverandson View Post
if u like ur mower ck and see if a bobcat predator pro lp is available in your area and demo one comes with a 30 hp generac that is actully 30 hp generac is the only engine manufacturer that rates there engines true hp every other kawi kohler brigs are all about 10 - 30 percent less than stated due 2 the fact there tested with no muffler no air filter
Thanks for the advice, but I live in Belize Central America there are no commercial mower dealers here when i need equipment I have to fly up to florida buy my stuff and pay a heck of a lot of money for shipping and duty when it arrives down here. I am dealer loyal. I purchase my stuff from commercial lawn care in kissimmee florida. They work with me being down here give me advice cover parts under warranty, help me trouble shoot over the phone. You just cant beat their service! I buy whatever they have, and they dont carry bobcat. Great info on the generac, I did not know that. Thanks again.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Commercial lawn has a small selection of Bobcats. No Propane models. Lou might be able to order one for you.
I checked the manifold hose assembly that connects the two tanks and don't see anything that prevents pulling from both tanks. In fact, if you pull from both tanks, they both get cold, indicating gas is flowing equally from both. I'm going to err to the side of caution and go back to only pulling from one tank.
I've tried to get the local hardware store to fill the tanks to 7 Gal. but they'll only fill them to 5 Gal. Very frustrating!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info.
The closest Heritage propane on the list is in Orlando, which is 30 Min. away.
The local hardware store is about 10 min. Heritage does fill my Home 120 tank about once a year. I've been with them for seven years now. Good company.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hello Atlantistom thanks for the info, but your suggestion about removing the baffle has had our production with the ferris go way up, so thankyou. I still havent got the mixer yet, my wife has it and is coming next week so will get it in then. I will let you know if fuel consumption goes down after. I hope not. I now have almost 70 hours on mine and I think its burning less now. Will let you know at the end of next week.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I put the mixer on the machine runs well. gph is almost the same change is miniscule. Machine is working well I think its the blades vs the hustler blades. Lift area is larger on the hustler. I just ordered some g6 gators i"ll let u know.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Glad to hear your's is doing fine. My engine started losing power after only seven hours. It's now back at Lou's with the right head removed. There was a lot of gunk on top of the piston. It's possibly from the mixer not being right. My confidence is shaken and for the first time I'm feeling regret in going with this unit. My greatest fear, is that after the two year warranty expires, I'll have major engine trouble and will be out of pocket a lot of money. I'll keep you posted... My last engine was a Kawasaki 27 hp liquid cooled that after 2000 hours, only needed an oil pressure sensor and is still running strong today!

Tags
cost efficiency , diesel , gas , propane mower