Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2011, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

growing bermuda grass from seed

next spring i want to go from fescue to bermuda but dont want to do $500 for 5 pallets of sod when i can do for a $50 bag of quality bermuda seed. the area i have to cover is only 2500 sq feet .

has anyone successfully did a whole lawn from bermuda seed?

what a good brand of bermuda seed to use?

is there any good shade tolerant variety available in seed form?

with seed could i get it thick and filled in as if i had gotten sod?
Old 08-05-2011, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsin1 View Post
next spring i want to go from fescue to bermuda but dont want to do $500 for 5 pallets of sod when i can do for a $50 bag of quality bermuda seed. the area i have to cover is only 2500 sq feet .

has anyone successfully did a whole lawn from bermuda seed?

what a good brand of bermuda seed to use?

is there any good shade tolerant variety available in seed form?

with seed could i get it thick and filled in as if i had gotten sod?
Here's my renovation using Princess 77.

http://bestlawn.info/renovations/fro...ess-t3865.html

I'm not sure that a shade tolerant seeded Bermuda exists. Tifgrand is as good as it gets, and it's a hybrid, only available in sod or maybe sprigs.

Have a look at my thread, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

good post....! do you have a todays date pic you could post or send me... ricsin1@hotmail.com... I just came back from my local nursery - $150/pallet and I need 5 of these to cover 2500 square feet... $750...that doesn't even include $60 for delivery...shhheeshhh.... the seed route may be the way to go..

What brand of P77 did you use..?

why did you get rid of the Sahara.. i saw a bag of this at my local store... whats is wrong with it that you didn't like..?
Old 08-05-2011, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsin1 View Post
good post....! do you have a todays date pic you could post or send me... ricsin1@hotmail.com... I just came back from my local nursery - $150/pallet and I need 5 of these to cover 2500 square feet... $750...that doesn't even include $60 for delivery...shhheeshhh.... the seed route may be the way to go..

What brand of P77 did you use..?

why did you get rid of the Sahara.. i saw a bag of this at my local store... whats is wrong with it that you didn't like..?
I didn't like the Sahara due to lack of shoot density. It would have been fine in the short term probably, but I wanted something that I could mow short, by short, I mean mow at 3/16. I just "raised", a relative term, my mower to 7/16, and I'm probably going to mow @ 1" due to no rainfall here.

I got my P77 from OutsidePride,http://www.outsidepride.com/seed/gra...rass-seed.html

If you have a gander at my other thread, all the posts are date/time stamped. It'll give you a time as to what to expect as far as weeds and seed germination.

If you do decide to do a renovation, do not rototill! But do take the time to get your lawn level, hire a tractor with a boxblade attachment to do the work for you. Take it from someone who knows, it makes all the difference.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We do lots of fescue to bermuda seeding here in Raleigh. Fescue just doesn't cut it here.

I took these photos a couple of weeks ago. This particular customer has been very good about watering, despite his lack of an irrigation system. In my experience, 99% of customers without irrigation can't or won't water properly for the amount of time it takes for the bermuda to take hold.

We use Sunsport from Lesco. I could get other seed but Sunsport works and I love my Lesco folks; they have been very good to me. Also, I know I can send my clients there.

We put this in in late May. Note crabgrass in foreground; this is right in front of the gate. there are other small patches around, too. This is an acceptable amount, pre M will get it, and the bermuda will fill in nicely.

that's my son spraying CT in the background.

the main thing is the irrigation. i have yet found a foolproof way to determine whether a potential client has the wherewithal to irrigate properly if they lack a system. they all say they will, but most don't. it's very frustrating.

btw this property was 90% crabgrass 10% tttf before we renovated.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of Pre-m did you put down. I was always under the impression that you couldnt put out pre-em, I have always just sprayed RU a few times before, add soil ammends and slit seeded at around 1/4" I though the RU would not let the Bermuda take hold to well so i have always treated the CG as it pokes through
Old 08-05-2011, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
What kind of Pre-m did you put down. I was always under the impression that you couldnt put out pre-em, I have always just sprayed RU a few times before, add soil ammends and slit seeded at around 1/4" I though the RU would not let the Bermuda take hold to well so i have always treated the CG as it pokes through
I waited about a month after germination before I applied Dimension. I've got quite a bit of CG now. I kinda wish I would've pulled the trigger a little quicker on the Dimension. But I was leery about doing so at the time, and it's way too hot to treat for it now. And Celsius Herbicide is way out of my budget.

I considered Sunsport as well, but was put off because I couldn't get it in a small enough quantity. I've only got 1300 sq. ft.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we apply gly a couple of weeks and then again a week before seeding.

pre M in fall and spring.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

@GatorinFla - do you have any recent pics of your P77 seed lawn? I have 2100 sq feet to do and read nothing but good things on this P77....
Old 09-12-2011, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is my 2 acre renovation.....

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=279977

Tags
bermuda grass , seed , sod