Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-05-2011, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My problem with all the chrome, especially the simulators, is that they can't be repaired easily if scuffed or dented.

I see LCO's run around with their simulators and such and it seems like a year later they look like junk just from normal use. Last winter I curbed one of my rear dually tires in a snow storm and bent the rim. All it took was a sledge hammer to beat it back. If I had a simulator on it, then it would have been trashed. All I had to do this spring was to take the wheel off and paint it and you can't even tell anything happened.

I'm a huge fan of the stock steel rims. Only because they are easy to paint when they get dingy.

Same for the chrome grill. Seems like they get beat up from rocks and debris just from driving down the road.

One landscaper mentioned to me one time, "If your quality of work is good or great then most people don't care what your equipment looks like, it doesn't have to look good to make you money."

But DLONG, to each their own, the truck does look good overall and will serve you well.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
well i would post more but cant seem to get pictures uploaded and they are only 600kbs

I will post our mowing rig, some paver jobs, and some drainage jobs and stripes tomorrow.
what I think are strobes on the front grill where did you get them and how much are they.

Does the truck run as good as it looks

Training them early
Old 08-05-2011, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

nice office man!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lookin sweet.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

super nice truck looks sharp. hope mine will look like that!
2 36" classic bobcat mowers(old)
2 sensation 21" mowers
2 Redmax back packs (portable hurricane on my back)
echo and husqvarna chainsaws
Echo hedge trimmers
and all for the glory of GOD!
Old 08-05-2011, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

stop arguing about simulators in get alcoas.....

The truck looks wayy better then stock, I really like what you did to it. Can't wait to see more pictures. I am also big into fleet uniformity, and I think what you did is fine and makes everything look good also.

2002 Ford F250 - XLT - 4x4 - ext. cab
1997 Ford F350 - XL - 4x4 - Diesel - Insert Dump
1997 Ford F250 - XLT - 4x4 - Diesel - some extras
Kubota L3540
Scag Turf Tigers
Wright Standers
Stihl 2-stroke equipment
Old 08-05-2011, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

that truck is tight

2011 extended cab f250
2011 f550

06 c6500
FINN bb302 Bark Blower
06 vermeer bc1000XL 12" chipper
2 salt dogg v- box spreaders
8ftsnow dogg plow

9ft snow dogg plow
/2004 New Holland LS180

20 yrs old
Old 08-05-2011, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks great it gives me ideas for when I get my next truck, way to go!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
My problem with all the chrome, especially the simulators, is that they can't be repaired easily if scuffed or dented.

I see LCO's run around with their simulators and such and it seems like a year later they look like junk just from normal use. Last winter I curbed one of my rear dually tires in a snow storm and bent the rim. All it took was a sledge hammer to beat it back. If I had a simulator on it, then it would have been trashed. All I had to do this spring was to take the wheel off and paint it and you can't even tell anything happened.

I'm a huge fan of the stock steel rims. Only because they are easy to paint when they get dingy.

Same for the chrome grill. Seems like they get beat up from rocks and debris just from driving down the road.

One landscaper mentioned to me one time, "If your quality of work is good or great then most people don't care what your equipment looks like, it doesn't have to look good to make you money."

But DLONG, to each their own, the truck does look good overall and will serve you well.

White Gardens, i agree 100% about painting the steel rims. The reason i got new simulators was because the old simulators it had when i bought it had dings, scuffs and rust all over them from plowing. If anything happens to these rims i will just get the steel rims powder coated when i get new tires in a year or two.

When i think of my company, i think of 'better than the rest'. That goes for all the equipment, work especially , uniforms, literature, and personel. There are soooo many companies around me that dont care about any of that. I see 2-3 new crews mowing per day in a 10 square mile around my house that i have never seen before, that don't clean their equipment, have multi colors trailers and beat to hell trucks wearing cut off shirts or no shirts at all and a sig in their mouth mowing. While its not making me anymore money having nicer trucks, , it makes my image look better and more hirable and trustworthy to my customers and future clients wearing a uniform, in clean trucks with organized trailer set ups. PEOPLE NOTICE THE SMALL THINGS, ESPECIALLY IN THIS INDUSTRY.

Its my personal preference to have nice equipment, i dont need to have nice equipment to make money, but i want to make myself and my business presentable to look professional especially with my age and jobs i have been landing.

Also, white gardens(^this isnt all directed at you directly, just in general) but you do top quality work, you explain how you do things and what you prefer and i have learned a lot from your pictures and threads you have created. Hope your season is going good so far and good luck this summer keeping busy.

Insured and Licensed