Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2011, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
White Gardens, i agree 100% about painting the steel rims. The reason i got new simulators was because the old simulators it had when i bought it had dings, scuffs and rust all over them from plowing. If anything happens to these rims i will just get the steel rims powder coated when i get new tires in a year or two.

When i think of my company, i think of 'better than the rest'. That goes for all the equipment, work especially , uniforms, literature, and personel. There are soooo many companies around me that dont care about any of that. I see 2-3 new crews mowing per day in a 10 square mile around my house that i have never seen before, that don't clean their equipment, have multi colors trailers and beat to hell trucks wearing cut off shirts or no shirts at all and a sig in their mouth mowing. While its not making me anymore money having nicer trucks, , it makes my image look better and more hirable and trustworthy to my customers and future clients wearing a uniform, in clean trucks with organized trailer set ups. PEOPLE NOTICE THE SMALL THINGS, ESPECIALLY IN THIS INDUSTRY.

Its my personal preference to have nice equipment, i dont need to have nice equipment to make money, but i want to make myself and my business presentable to look professional especially with my age and jobs i have been landing.

Also, white gardens(^this isnt all directed at you directly, just in general) but you do top quality work, you explain how you do things and what you prefer and i have learned a lot from your pictures and threads you have created. Hope your season is going good so far and good luck this summer keeping busy.
I agree 100%, nice truck.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice truck buddy!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
White Gardens, i agree 100% about painting the steel rims. The reason i got new simulators was because the old simulators it had when i bought it had dings, scuffs and rust all over them from plowing. If anything happens to these rims i will just get the steel rims powder coated when i get new tires in a year or two.

Its my personal preference to have nice equipment, i dont need to have nice equipment to make money, but i want to make myself and my business presentable to look professional especially with my age and jobs i have been landing.

Also, white gardens(^this isnt all directed at you directly, just in general) but you do top quality work, you explain how you do things and what you prefer and i have learned a lot from your pictures and threads you have created. Hope your season is going good so far and good luck this summer keeping busy.

Like I said, to each their own. I'm sure half of the people who see this thread don't like the simulators, and the other half really likes them.

To me it's the money. There is absolutely no return on simulators from a financial perspective and I have other things I would spend my money on. That and it's really easy to ruin simulators, so I would hate to loose that money easily.

Keeping my rims and hubs painted lets me pull off the "detail" factor on my truck.

Skip the powder coat if you ever paint them. Just use a good can of spray paint and just hit them anytime you have the rims off. The powder coating will crack and chip up badly during any tire changes or curb checks. Guys around here were getting their truck dump bodies powder coated for a while. Then what happen is the paint cracked from the dump body use allowing moisture and salt under the paint and causing rust cancer that you couldn't even see. At least with an enamel or epoxy, you can see the areas when they start to rot and take care of them accordingly. Those guys with damage said it wasn't worth the money to powder coat their beds.

Thanks for the comments on the quality work. Also staying super busy and have now hired on one person and possibly another.

No need to toot my horn though, I know there are better scapers out there than me.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

you got a good looking truck man and the update makes it look sweet, i notice your sig says your from birmingham, very nice city, I've been there a few times alot nicer neighbor hoods from where i grew up, Good Luck this season!
-97' F-250HD Ext. Cab Long Bed 5.8L 4x4
-08' Exmark Lazer Z 28HP EFI/60" Triton
-05' Ferris 15HP/48" Ultrabelt GD
-09' Craftsman 7.5HP/22"
-98' MTD 5HP/21"
-00' Shindaiwa T-230 Trimmer
-06'/12' Shindaiwa T-242 Trimmers
-12' Shindaiwa LE-242 Stick edger
-11' Redmax 7150 BP Blower
-00' Redmax 4300 BP Blower
-06' Craftsman 5HP Edger
-05' HaulinUt 6x12
-13' PoulanPro 18" Chainsaw
-02' Craftsman Bushwacker HedgeTrimmers
Old 08-05-2011, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looks great,nice truck!
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 08-05-2011, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

looks great man !!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, nice facelift! Truck looks awesome.

I'm with you 100% on having nice looking equipment. I think having a neat appearance is important in order to attract clientele that perceives your company as professional. Some companies may be overlooked by some people due to a not so neat appearance even if they are professional. It gives you an edge over the other guy.

I agree quality of work is #1, but having a nice looking fleet may lead to better job opportunities. Like going into a job interview; two people with the same qualifications but one dressed in a tshirt and one with a shirt and tie or a jacket...the better dressed person will have a better chance.

Anyways, nice truck!

Lawn & Landscape Maintenance -- Landscape Installation -- Snow Management

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 08-05-2011, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Truck looks great, but how did you cut 18 gallons per week off your lawn cutting?
Old 08-05-2011, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguynextdoor View Post
Truck looks great, but how did you cut 18 gallons per week off your lawn cutting?
While, if the pictures would upload(which i cant figure out why they aren't) we switched up a lot this year with machines being sold and replaced and updated.
Last years set-up:
2007 Exmark Lazer Z 27hp KOHLER
2008 Exmark Lazer Z XS 60" 35HP VANGAURD
2010 Exmark Viking 36" 15hp KAWI

Spring Setup(which has all been sold) was:

2010 Exmark Vantage 52" 24HP KOHLER (SOLD)
2008 Exmark Lazer Z XS 60" 35HP VANGUARD (SOLD)
2010 Exmark Viking 36" 15HP KAWI (SOLD)

CURRENT SETUP:

2009 Exmark TTHP 48" 17 HP KAWI with 2 wheeled no flat sulky and bagger
2009 Exmark TTHP 48" 19HP ELECTRIC START KAWI with Proslide and mulch plate

The reason for the selling of machines was many reasons:
1) We could never have two mowers going at the same time on larger properties because the offset of mowing decks, so when the trimmer/edger/blower was done trimming i was still mowing for 10 minutes and was very unefficient.
2)on the small properties the 52" wouldnt fit in most gates so we were using 2 mowers of different sizes on the smaller ones and it took longer because one person could be mowing while the other was trimming/edging but instead we had to start two motors instead of one
3)The 60" Triton deck cut like **** and never left a clean cut. Sharpened the blades weekly, replaced every 3 weeks, went to exmark rep and had them fix pitch many many times(they said the deck was too heavy for the chain and it kept loosening and changing pitch)
4)The vantage killed my back after using it for one week, where i almost had to go see a doctor(poorly designed in my taste, the op is standing so much higher and doesnt absorb much shock at all
5)We used two full tank each week on the lazer(28 gallons), 1 1/2 tanks on the vantage(9 gallons) and 1/2 a tank on the viking(2.5 gallons) So a total of 25 gallons per

39.5 gallons of gas total used per week on average

Reasons for buying the 2 48" mowers
1) i got a killer deal ($3900 for both, the 19hp has 216 hours, and the other doesnt have a meter but is in better shape)
2) We can have two mowers going on larger properties leaving a quality cut rather than scalping/ruts/uneven/heavy stripe on the wheels from the weight
3) On smaller properties the 48" stripe IMO looks cleaner than the 52" or 60" and one guy can mow while other is trimming/edging
4) 48" decks fit through almost all gates we have, and if they don't we just use a trimmer(because its a stripe about 10 feet long by 3 feet along a side of a house where the dog goes to the bathroom)
5) Gas tanks last a lot longer. Both 5 gallon tanks last well into the late half of the week, and the 19hp sucks a little more than the 17hp but all in all we use about 20 ish gallons of fuel a week including mixed gas which is about 3.5 per week

Insured and Licensed
Old 08-05-2011, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Trying to post pictures. Hope this works

Insured and Licensed