Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2011, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

400 plants? that design is not half of that? wheres the 200ft x 4ft retaining wall and the rest of the hardscape?
Old 08-20-2011, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
i dont have enough patience to upload everything soo here ya go

Thats probably a good call. Did they need it done, all in a month or couldnt you have taken it and priced it one job at a time? Thats what Ive done a couple times. Price one area, do job, little low on price, lose a half day maybe, then try to work in a couple extra dollars on the next spot. Then you can feel out the people to. The 1.5 mil crowd can be tough to please. If they point out the stupidest little stuff on the first job then thats great info to have when you either price the 2nd job or bow out.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatinmulchbeds View Post
400 plants? that design is not half of that? wheres the 200ft x 4ft retaining wall and the rest of the hardscape?
zoomed out it doesnt show all the plants and you cant see a lot of the property. thanks for trying to down talk me on my own project though...

thanks for everyones help, we start tomorrow.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 08-21-2011, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good Luck! Keep us posted on the total MHRs for this job.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not trying to down talk your project, but nothing makes sense about it
Old 08-22-2011, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I keep going back and looking at this 3-d rendering. It looks way out of wack to me. But what do I know.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

The question I have is who would hire someone that literally had the entire project figured wrong in every way? He is basically subbing everything out; which will have plenty of issues to deal with, and now he is the General Contractor from the Hardscapes and Landscapes?

Since they will be paying you and then you will be paying the subs, you will be the guy that gets the calls if ANYTHING you have been paid for goes wrong. You will not be able to say, "here is my irrigation guys number, sorry your tap leaked and you have a $2000.00 water bill". If you are making money marking up all the subs, then you are liable for everything anyone of your subs do.

The fact is, you are still way over your head. Just wait until your accountant ask's you for copies of all your new subs 1099's and Insurance Certs. Then wait until your next Work Comp Audit and they go "Wow, you have had a big increase in sales, but you only stated X amount of dollars which increases your liability and Comp premiums. You now owe us X more dollars.

Homeowners and Contractors put guys like you out of business everyday. Your subs will expect to be paid, even if you do not get paid. Have you ever asked yourself why did you all of a sudden get this large project? I mean you have 4 guys?

Maybe some have been hard on you for a reason. I have watched this happen for 15 years now and it is the same story over and over. Everyone thinks that they are the going to be the exception to the rule.

The only reason some including me have doubted your ability is all based on basically all of your own words. Anyone that celebrates getting a job like you did, has not been in this business long to know better.....hence all the "words of wisdom".

I know it is a kick in the nuts to hear all of this, but please take some of this and do some research. At least start getting prepared and make some phone calls etc. I hope the job goes well and you can put some money in your pocket. Good Luck
Old 08-25-2011, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what i did was introduce the contractor to another company that specializes in major designs like this one. I am going to be working with the company as part of the agreement in the contract so that i can get hands on experience with jobs of this size. The company is going to be paying me a salary of $15 per hour, i will be a laborer and not be liable for any thing. as for the plants i have a separate contract signed and i will be doing that through certified lawn pros. Ive learned a lot during this entire process and have made a ton of connections, even though im not making much money at all i still feel like my time and efforts put into the job will pay off in the near future.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's very smart! I'm glad you came to that conclusion. That's real similar to how I started in the landscaping design / build part of the business. I had been doing lawn mowing, maintenance, clean-ups, light enhancements, and very small installations for years. But then I partnered with a landscaper who knew landscaping, lighting, hardscapes, and irrigation really well. He had been doing it a good 30 years or more. So I'd do some of the work (planting, sod) while he would do all the rest of the work (hardscapes, walls, lighting, irrigation). I learned a TON during that year or so that I was working with him. And over time - after watching him for several jobs - we figured we could do just as good of a job or better than he was. Then the relationship ended for other reasons about that time anyway (partnerships never last) and so we started doing it on our own.

I always started small and worked my way up to larger jobs. First irrigation job we did was a fairly small system. Went well and I learned a little bit. Next one I took on was a little bigger, and so on. Same with pavers. First paver patio I installed was 10' x 12'. Then the next one was larger. And so on. Over time we eventually got to the point where we could do very large projects and had the confidence and experience to take on very large projects and know that we'd for-sure be doing a good job. Also, just having the experience to know how to bid a larger job without losing your a$$ is key too.

It won't be too long you'll be able to take on stuff like this all on your own. But I think it's very smart for you to watch and learn on some of the larger ones for now. It will pay off in the long run, I guarantee you.

Post photos for us to see!

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon