Register free!

Old 08-06-2011, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Member

dormant microbes

Is there anyway how to keep microbes dormant in liquid form?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-06-2011, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you mean, w/out the possibility of growing Botulism or other anaerobic microbes in their place? Hmmm, not sure if I could do it w/out a microscope and lots of time, bit ICT claims to have done it...
Old 08-06-2011, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Is there anyway how to keep microbes dormant in liquid form?

Yes there is, it happens in ponds and lakes every year when they get cold and freeze, same in the soil, they go into a dormant or spore form
Old 08-06-2011, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Member

See, then how can someone (not attacking anyone )put a product on a shelf, it has to be fresh
I know you have to separate from a food source, only sure way is to keep in solid form (compost)?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-06-2011, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retxab View Post
See, then how can someone (not attacking anyone )put a product on a shelf, it has to be fresh
I know you have to separate from a food source, only sure way is to keep in solid form (compost)?
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't understand your comment "it has to be fresh" compost is full of dormant and spore form microorganisms
if you are looking to perform a certain task with the microbes like using a mycorrhizal inoculant, then the only way you can get them "off the shelf" is in dormant or spore form

it is not a yes vs no or even good vs bad, you use different things for different applications.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

(Fresh)As in compost tea .can u just extract microbes from a good compost and liquidfy and store in a bottle .then and food source when doing application
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-06-2011, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retxab View Post
(Fresh)As in compost tea .can u just extract microbes from a good compost and liquidfy and store in a bottle .then and food source when doing application
Posted via Mobile Device
Good luck on the "store it in a bottle" thing, try it
let me know how that works out
been there got the shirt and wore it out, we now have a good 2 year shelf stability

it seems to me that you are trying to ask a question but may not be sure how to ask it, happy to help just not sure what the question is
Old 08-24-2011, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

re: dormant microbes

Please respond if anyone thinks this practice is in any way dangerous:
I dont know if this is the best way to grow microbes but:
we make our miccor brew for the week in 50 gallon batches which are mixed and aerated for about 72 hours at room temp. then we pour it into washed gallon jugs and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks before adding it to the final mix which is applied to lawns, trees, etc. everything our blend touches perks right up but i hope we arent brewing up toxins! Those with more technical expertise please share feedback. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemancox View Post
Please respond if anyone thinks this practice is in any way dangerous:
I dont know if this is the best way to grow microbes but:
we make our miccor brew for the week in 50 gallon batches which are mixed and aerated for about 72 hours at room temp. then we pour it into washed gallon jugs and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks before adding it to the final mix which is applied to lawns, trees, etc. everything our blend touches perks right up but i hope we arent brewing up toxins! Those with more technical expertise please share feedback. Thanks!
It is certainly a unique way to do it, I would be interested where you learned the practice,I am not asking this in any negative way but very interested in new ways to do things.

I was in a class in July where they bury sheep horns full of manure in the field and go by the moon and star to plant and harvest so...............

give us some background, hey if it works for you go for it

what is the substrate that you begin with
Old 08-25-2011, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The point about the toxins is what I would be concerned about... different germs are going to proliferate in different environments... after a while the anaerobics will consume the aerobics and dominate your jar... botulism is a popular anaerobic that is probably extant in spores all over the globe... or another very similar germ...

safety first...