Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2011, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Thats way photo looks I'll go take a pic at the diffent angle and see no flat spot
Whatever, a photo doesn't lie. A different angle will only hide the flat spot. You can see on the left where you edgers meet that they aren't at the same angle as the rest of them.

I'm just being honest here. Everyone has their own way of doing things, but when I see pics like this, I have to be honest. There isn't much money in this industry, and little imperfections and the such makes HO's think that a 12 year old or themselves could have done the job without paying someone who has their own business to do it.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Whatever, a photo doesn't lie. A different angle will only hide the flat spot. You can see on the left where you edgers meet that they aren't at the same angle as the rest of them.

I'm just being honest here. Everyone has their own way of doing things, but when I see pics like this, I have to be honest. There isn't much money in this industry, and little imperfections and the such makes HO's think that a 12 year old or themselves could have done the job without paying someone who has their own business to do it.

Im so sorry I guess I need be like you and Sell shoes Then I might be able do your type work
I seen lots Imperfections in your work on your thread But I dont try slam ppl But thats how u want to play so be it

If you ever done a tree ring it takes 20 and to get them to fit they all has to be turn all same angle to work
I see you never made one and have no clue what you are talking about
I been in buisness since 1981
Old 08-07-2011, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Never said I didn't have any imperfections of my work. Every job I do I look at it when done and try to figure what I could have done better. There are many other scapers out there that are far more talented to me. Never am I satisfied with my work, and it must look better than good when I'm done.

I've done plenty of tree rings. I never really take pictures of them. But, when I do another one, I'll take pics just for you.

But in the mean-time, here is a picture of an almost perfect hand crafted circle for you. Again, not a kit or any way of cheating.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Please tell me you used Fabric under that rock?
Old 08-08-2011, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundOneMN View Post
Please tell me you used Fabric under that rock?
Is that directed to me or Snyder?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Guys, it doesn't really matter how well the edgers are installed. The tree roots will heave them up over time. That is why we don't install edging around trees. Of course we don't rock around them either. Give it a nice LARGE area of mulch for the benefit of the tree.

Lawn & Landscape Maintenance -- Landscape Installation -- Snow Management

Work / Equipment Thread
Old 08-09-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the most disconcerting thing here is everyone is quibbling over how round the circle is and he's gone and rocked (mulched) over the root flare.....and I agree with GLS--the tree will heave those bullets out.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That edging is secondary. The root zone of that tree has been rocked over. The tree is suffocating.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So, let me throw this out there to you guys.

Why is it so bad to do rock in a tree ring? I understand the thinking and logic of using mulch over rock, but is it really that big of a deal?

Now I will say that I don't do rock around tree rings and personally push customers to using mulch.

Trees get rock around the all the time in landscape installations without any real ill effects from what I can tell.

Just throwing this out there................

Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I ve seen trees do okay under rock true--but never ever go over the root flare recipe for stem girdling roots.