Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2011, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post
I completely agree with testing the soil. Like others have said, I would add topsoil or bedding mix (topsoil, compost, manure, 10% sand) and then sod.

There are multiple options, this is just what I would do if it were my job. If the customer wanted it seeded, I would not guarantee it.
You can't go wrong with a soil test, but frankly, with seeding bermudagrass and given the lateness, I'd seed now, test later. That stuff is so tolerant of ph and just about everything, if you can get it established before the frost, you are ahead of the game.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2brothersyardcare View Post
turf stone i would do a wall tho
There is no need for a wall there, I doubt the homeowner would be willing to pay for it. Especially when it could be easily and cheaply fixed with other solutions!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
You can't go wrong with a soil test, but frankly, with seeding bermudagrass and given the lateness, I'd seed now, test later. That stuff is so tolerant of ph and just about everything, if you can get it established before the frost, you are ahead of the game.
Hate to ask but how do I go about a soil test? Just buy a kit? Never really had a need to do a soil test before.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind MX that a good set of plants and shrubs in there might not be that horribly expensive, and might even be the same cost as re-seeding, re-grading, and anything else you need to establish new turf.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Keep in mind MX that a good set of plants and shrubs in there might not be that horribly expensive, and might even be the same cost as re-seeding, re-grading, and anything else you need to establish new turf.

Yea that is true but it still would not cover up the bare spots on the hill unless you did mulch but than that may wash out.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxrider52 View Post
Hate to ask but how do I go about a soil test? Just buy a kit? Never really had a need to do a soil test before.
Just google "extension service" and the name of your state. They send you a kit for about $8. Some garden supply places do it also. But, like I said, with bermudagrass it's optional. BTW, don't use the el cheapo common bermudagrass. Get a modern cultivar like Yukon, Riviera, Princess or Sunbird. Will work much better for you. And don't put down much more than is recommended. More is not better. Most important of all -- You will need to keep it moist.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Just google "extension service" and the name of your state. They send you a kit for about $8. Some garden supply places do it also. But, like I said, with bermudagrass it's optional. BTW, don't use the el cheapo common bermudagrass. Get a modern cultivar like Yukon, Riviera, Princess or Sunbird. Will work much better for you. And don't put down much more than is recommended. More is not better. Most important of all -- You will need to keep it moist.

So should I just get some bermuda grass and start planting it? And worry about shaping the hill up later? Were still in the 90s here but we are fixing to cool down into the high 80s. We usually average 80s until October. Just varies. Do you think there is enough time?

Or should I rent a skid and dig the hill back off the curb some more to keep the extra dirt on the curb from washing into road and than plant a annual rye grass? I guess this will probably be my best bet for right now? But than I guess I need to worry about the soil test?

Last edited by Mxrider52; 08-08-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
So should I just get some bermuda grass and start planting it? And worry about shaping the hill up later? Were still in the 90s here but we are fixing to cool down into the high 80s. We usually average 80s until October. Just varies. Do you think there is enough time?

Or should I rent a skid and dig the hill back off the curb some more to keep the extra dirt on the curb from washing into road and than plant a annual rye grass? I guess this will probably be my best bet for right now? But than I guess I need to worry about the soil test?
It's pretty marginal for Bermudagrass at this point in time. I agree with annual rye to stop the erosion now is the prudent move. I do think that in the long run, bermuda solves your erosion problem, but will the customer accept a non-green lawn 7-8 months a year in TN? And yes, i would rent the skids and countour the hill now. And to state the obvious, it's not too late for a normal fall seeding program with annual ryegrass now to stabilize, followed by a recommended for your region cool season grass in Sept. They will tell you TTTF, but I find it clumpy, which makes it not good for hills. Which is why I like a bermudagrass like Sunbird, an aggressive rhizomic spreader.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
It's pretty marginal for Bermudagrass at this point in time. I agree with annual rye to stop the erosion now is the prudent move. I do think that in the long run, bermuda solves your erosion problem, but will the customer accept a non-green lawn 7-8 months a year in TN? And yes, i would rent the skids and countour the hill now. And to state the obvious, it's not too late for a normal fall seeding program with annual ryegrass now to stabilize, followed by a recommended for your region cool season grass in Sept. They will tell you TTTF, but I find it clumpy, which makes it not good for hills. Which is why I like a bermudagrass like Sunbird, an aggressive rhizomic spreader.
Yea I figured it was getting too late. I doubt he will care, he owns a golf course so he knows about bermuda lol. He just wants the hill stabilized as it is a commercial building and the renters have complained about it and he has had to scrape the roadway in the previous. Even though it just runs beside the building to the dumpster but when the dump guy or someone else drives beside the building they than track the mud into the main part of parking lot.

I think I will start with a soil test, than scrape the hill back some and plant annual rye along with a fertilizer. What kind of fertilizer would you guys recommend? I need to figure out the soil results first I guess. Or maybe I can just get a flower pot full of the dirt and see if I can get the ryegrass to grow in it? I guess that would work too
Old 08-08-2011, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yea I figured it was getting too late. I doubt he will care, he owns a golf course so he knows about bermuda lol. He just wants the hill stabilized as it is a commercial building and the renters have complained about it and he has had to scrape the roadway in the previous. Even though it just runs beside the building to the dumpster but when the dump guy or someone else drives beside the building they than track the mud into the main part of parking lot.

I think I will start with a soil test, than scrape the hill back some and plant annual rye along with a fertilizer. What kind of fertilizer would you guys recommend? I need to figure out the soil results first I guess. Or maybe I can just get a flower pot full of the dirt and see if I can get the ryegrass to grow in it? I guess that would work too
Just make sure the fert has some P in it for the rooting. Clay will soak up all the lime you can give it, so check the ph of course. I'd also throw some perennial rye in there so you have something green next spring, when you renovate with bermudagrass. You should also ask the extension guys about improving the soil composition, due to all the clay.