Register free!

Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the kind thoughts.
We're staying busy enough out here with repairs and add-ons.
The local Stage 2 restrictions only allow for once a week watering but that hasn't slowed us down too much. Everyone's lawns and plants are extremely stressed but we're still able to keep them alive.
When Stage 3 hits it'll be once every other week, which should really get the phone ringing!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I remember one drought that moved to once a week watering but the system could be run while being serviced. Had a few customers all in the same grapevine that called me out to do service but basically wanted me to walk through the system real slow for an hour.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
I remember one drought that moved to once a week watering but the system could be run while being serviced. Had a few customers all in the same grapevine that called me out to do service but basically wanted me to walk through the system real slow for an hour.
I sit in a parking lot and eat lunch at one of my high dollar comm accts and let the entry zones run/I mean service them.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In '02 I was contracted by the city to work on some of the lower income housing developments to get the systems up and running, and make them a little better. We just went to our first ever restrictions. We were working on the systems at about 10:00 or 11:00 one day, and the water police drove up and said "no watering from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM". Well sir how am I supposed to work on the system? From 6:00 PM to 9:00 AM? Ain't happening. Get in your little car and go away.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've got one in the middle of the month where the kids are getting married at my mega. I'm hired to sit by the pool and make sure the catering crew puts their tent stakes where my stuff is not. Best gig I've ever had; dues paid.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's just insane.. I can't believe it's been so crazy there

On the opposite end.. Seattle hasn't had more then 24 hours of weather above 80
Old 08-09-2011, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'll tell you how bad the drought is becoming - inattentive truck drivers pulling trailers equipped with safety chains are starting more fires than people flicking cigarette butts out the window - it's that dry outside.
Yesterday a rancher had a chain fall off the hitch and bounce along. Started what ended up being almost a 500 acre fire, endangered multiple residences, live stock not to mention requiring two helicopters, two fixed wing tankers, fifteen departments and approximately 100 FF's to extinguish. Last count on water use was approximately 150,000 gallons. Eight 2,000 gallon wheeled tankers, 1 6,000 gallon tanker, the heavy lift helicopter dumped 1,200 gallons at a time and the count on the heavy chopper was over twenty dumps in under and hour and a half. And boy oh boy where the other ranchers royally p.o.'d since the choppers lift primarily from what water remains in their stock tanks essentially meaning now the live stock (what remains) now has to have water hauled in.
All because a good old boy "bubba" type couldn't or wouldn't pay attention to his trailer set-up.
This is the fourth time in less than two months idiots like this caused me to have a long day. Got into the office at 06:30, toned out at 13:19 and returned to my house at 23:00 that night.
To make matters worse the fed's have sent US Forest Service Wild Land FF's on two week rotations into Texas. The problem being most of these guys are from the more northern states. One FF from Ky ended up in the hospital since he had heat related seizures - seems it being 108*F with humidity over 75% hammered the dogshit out of these northern guys.
I used to get a bunch of flack about arriving at a scene in shorts but after yesterday at least thirty FF's said they were going to start wearing all cotton based shorts instead of blue jeans under their gear.
And there is no realistic end in sight, according to NOAA Texas is not expected to begin to receive measurable rainfall for at least two more months at a minimum.

Sorry about the rant but my patience is being tested by these country bumpkins.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

During our dry drought spells, we were getting a lot of grass fires from trains causing sparks along the tracks.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

@TGG Your post should be in every newspaper in Texas.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dana, that happened yesterday as well right during the task force deployment for the 500 acre event.

All of the VFD's are stretched really thin right now.

At least for the time being my existent client base understands and applauds my participation but I am fast approaching call saturation. Simply put, too many more call outs and I may have to start "qualifying" what events which I respond and others that may become bad luck.

Thanks Pete.