Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2011, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Speedzone & Drive XLR8 Q's

Speedzone - Lawn is KBG & TF. We're looking at a cooling trend, later in the week (highs in the low to mid 80's). So, I'm thinking of spot spraying after the irrigation system runs through. Am I going to be OK @ these temps/conditions? Planning on 1.5oz/gal (1KSF). I can't find on the label....any mention of RECOMMENDING using a surfactant.

Drive XLR8 - Same Q as above (same lawn) @ same rate w/ methylated seed oil surfactant. The home I'm speaking of had a power outtage in the last 2 wks, sometime. The irrigation system bugged out. I ran it through, manually, today (twice in the areas that looked dry-est). I'm also going to run it through the program in the AM. The CG, here, has gone to seed QUICKLY AND VIGOROUSLY. I'm wondering if this rate will knock it out or not? I'm hoping the added water will promote growth.

Also to note, I plan to mow @ this location, tomorrow afternoon. If I go through with this, I won't apply until Saturday AM (the normal day for the irrigation to run). Do I need to wait for the plants to completely dry, before applying? Partially? Right after (irrigating)?

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

no surfactant needed for speedzone and i dont recommend it, but use it with drive. that will be the best time to spray after it is irrigated.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm applying the Drive XLR8 in the AM (mowed, yesterday). The neighbors are infested, and they've asked me if there's anything I can do about it. When I say "infested", I mean there's lots of spots where the CG is evident. It could easily be spot-sprayed. But, it's gonna take a while.

What I'm afraid of is......ALL this CG has gone to seed. I haven't used the Drive XLR8 before. I'm curious as to what your results have been on mature plants. All lawns are irrigated. I'd time each application (each lawn) around mowing/irrigating schedules.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Drive is great but a surfectant is basically a requirement to get any mature Crabgrass
Old 08-12-2011, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I stated in the orig. post that I was using the methylated seed oil the label calls for. I'm really interested in how well this product works on mature plants, now.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

actually should nuke it better than pre mature. it is best on young or old crabgrass.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, grassman. I want to tell the neighbors I'll treat theirs, too. But, it's all mature (but cut and irrigated, regularly). I'll probably just treat it. I'd wait to see how it did on the lawn I'm treating. But, I don't want to wait any longer.

Are you seeing efficacy in 1 week?
Old 08-16-2011, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I sprayed Drive XLR8 on Sunday (mid-morning). It's working, great. Some of the plants are "almost" khaki colored, already.

What's a little puzzling is the neighbor's lawn (I flagged and sprayed 3 spots) isn't showing the same efficacy. Time will tell, I guess.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

most of what i have sprayed has been turning the kaki or purple color, which is a good sign. fast too it seams this year. i just used mso for the first time today with q4 so we will see how much better it is for crab kill and other weeds compared to my normal surfactant
Old 08-16-2011, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Does anyone use a generic Drive? I have been using a generic quinclorac (QuinPro by Armortech) with some pretty good success. What about everyone else?