Register free!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I don't think they are cicada killer wasps. Cicada killers nest individually--not in a colony.
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef004.asp

For yellowjackets I suggest some Sevin dust. Sneak up on 'em at night when its cool and they won't be very active. Dump a couple ounces of dust down the hole. And on the dirt landing area in front of the nest. The dust will not evaporate and will stay around long enough to coat their bodies and get into the fine hairs of their bodies. With luck the whole colony is gone.
I'm going to try the seven dust first since I do have a ton of that on hand as we use it in the garden.

If it helps at all as to the confusion on Cicada killers/ground hornets; last year they went into a hole in the brick and into the attic which I stopped up last fall with silicon.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 08-10-2011, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayboy View Post
Ric,
I agree the ground hornets are very dangerous and have known people to go to the emergency room from getting stung.

The pics he showed are the cicada killers which are not aggressive towards stinging humans as are the ground hornets.

I watched one last year trying to get a cicada through the cracks in my deck down to it's nest. Was interesting to watch.
Sprayboy

MY BAD, I didn't clink on the Picture and only assumed the right ID was a Ground Hornet. But with a larger infestation they can and will sting. While they might not be as dangerous as Ground Hornets, I would still want them gone.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Cicada holes look like someone drilled a hole in the ground usually lots of seperate holes one for each larvae. But any dust like tempo connect a length of poly hose that goes over the tip, you can att the hose to a length of dowel to direct the end of the hose. Squirt some in the hole at night, hold your breath they can p/u on the CO2. When they beat their wings to cool the nest the insecticide will move they will all die w in days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I don't think they are cicada killer wasps. Cicada killers nest individually--not in a colony.
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef004.asp

For yellowjackets I suggest some Sevin dust. Sneak up on 'em at night when its cool and they won't be very active. Dump a couple ounces of dust down the hole. And on the dirt landing area in front of the nest. The dust will not evaporate and will stay around long enough to coat their bodies and get into the fine hairs of their bodies. With luck the whole colony is gone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2011, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Cicada holes look like someone drilled a hole in the ground usually lots of seperate holes one for each larvae. But any dust like tempo connect a length of poly hose that goes over the tip, you can att the hose to a length of dowel to direct the end of the hose. Squirt some in the hole at night, hold your breath they can p/u on the CO2. When they beat their wings to cool the nest the insecticide will move they will all die w in days.

Posted via Mobile Device
I put the seven out last night so we will see.

I'm starting to lean more toward Cicada killers and the reason I say this is because the amount of holes humble1 is refering too, there are at least 20 now in the back and it don't seem like there are more then one going into each hole???

Any thoughts?

While putting the seven out last night I could get close enough to hear it, sounds like a dirt dobber backing mud

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 08-11-2011, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The first pic is of a cicada killer. They've been active the last few weeks here, and are considered beneficials by many books and manuals. They don't live in colonies and are very territorial from what I've read. I walk past 4 or 5 of them every morning the past week or so to get the paper and I walk right through. I have seen them do some damage in the summer months with all the holes, but that usually fills back in quickly early fall.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

kirk,
These critters are not going to hurt you. They in fact are cicada killers. The reason I know is I'm highly allergic to stings. I ran across these a couple of years ago. Took one to friend of mine who is exterminator, and he stated, they are not aggressive to humans. I have been working in a yard over the past 2 weeks that has these guys flying around everywhere. We even got to see one take down a cicada, kill it and fly off with it( very cool).

James
Old 08-11-2011, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Lawn/Landscape View Post
kirk,
These critters are not going to hurt you. They in fact are cicada killers. The reason I know is I'm highly allergic to stings. I ran across these a couple of years ago. Took one to friend of mine who is exterminator, and he stated, they are not aggressive to humans. I have been working in a yard over the past 2 weeks that has these guys flying around everywhere. We even got to see one take down a cicada, kill it and fly off with it( very cool).

James
We'll I haven't seen one take down a cicada however I have seen them today on the ground dragging the cicada's into the hole so they are in fact cicada killers. I've been working on that side of the yard all morning and had the chance to experience them at work.

Just watching them in the grass dragging the cicada into the hole is ahhhh wicked to say the least.

Then God created Women
Old 08-11-2011, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The first pic is plain as the nose on one's face, a cicada killer. The second pic is exactly what one of their nests\holes looks like.

I wasn't sure if they were aggressive either but was messing with one coming out of its den, flew around me but never came close to landing on me.

I'll try to take a pic of an infield that has probably at least 100 holes in it. So I wouldn't say they don't colonize, as I could see a half dozen at one time.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Member

The cicada-killer wasps that are digging are not typically aggressive to the point of stinging someone. This is a seasonal thing and the wasps are the females digging a hole to bury the dead cicada with a single wasp egg inside. I was seeing them all over today, and while they will approach a person, I've never known this particular wasp to actually sting a person.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Greener View Post
The cicada-killer wasps that are digging are not typically aggressive to the point of stinging someone. This is a seasonal thing and the wasps are the females digging a hole to bury the dead cicada with a single wasp egg inside. I was seeing them all over today, and while they will approach a person, I've never known this particular wasp to actually sting a person.
Yea but if provoked or desterbed then what?

Like me mowing over there nest; I know if someone was mowing my roof I'd probably go out the door with a shot gun myself

Thats what I'm afraid of while mowing

Then God created Women