Register free!

Old 08-12-2011, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i used sevin dust and within 24hrs i had none left. i had about 30 in my back yard from tons of dif nests, was annoying and scared my dogs.

worked great and cheap. recommend it
Old 08-12-2011, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Yea but if provoked or desterbed then what?

Like me mowing over there nest; I know if someone was mowing my roof I'd probably go out the door with a shot gun myself

Thats what I'm afraid of while mowing
I was basically kicking at one, all it did was fly at eye level sort of circling me and took off.

It's not like it's a bear or gator that's going to really cause harm. Worst they can do is sting or bite.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
i used sevin dust and within 24hrs i had none left. i had about 30 in my back yard from tons of dif nests, was annoying and scared my dogs.

worked great and cheap. recommend it
Yea, I've been doing just that in the holes I'd found. Now I see them fly in and go in the ground in places there is no dirt so slowly finding those also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
I was basically kicking at one, all it did was fly at eye level sort of circling me and took off.

It's not like it's a bear or gator that's going to really cause harm. Worst they can do is sting or bite.
Problem is, others on here say if they do bite they can kill you

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 08-12-2011, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yea but if provoked or desterbed then what?

Like me mowing over there nest; I know if someone was mowing my roof I'd probably go out the door with a shot gun myself

Thats what I'm afraid of while mowing
Refer back to the link I sent earlier:
http://www.showmejoe.com/thriller/control.htm
He seems to deal with them on a regular basis.

I have a few of them in my yard. I've still never seen a female at home (although I have elsewhere), but have encountered many males flying around the nests. They've buzzed my head, and even bumped into me. Never been stung (which makes sense, because the males don't have a stinger).
I've gotten close enough to to some that landed on nearby plants to get some pretty cool pictures. When I offload my camera's card, I'll post some.

Now I don't at all disagree with your fear of them. They're quite intimidating, and I'm not going to look down on you for killing any and all you see, but I for one choose very carefully where I apply chemicals in my yard, and use the absolute least I can get away with, which means for me, sparing these odd and interesting creatures.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i dont care about them, but if my dogs wont go out to poop, then it is considered a pest. otherise, they dont bothe me that much, but this year was too much cuz i seriously had a swarm of them in my small back lawn.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Problem is, others on here say if they do bite they can kill you
Go back and reread Ric's post. He didn't realize they were cicada killers when he posted that.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pictures as promised:
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2011, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nice pics rlitman

The seven don't seem to be working, they just move and drill another hole

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can see how close he let me get in the last shot, because one wing is in focus, and the other is not. I almost got him to land on me when something came up and I had to go.
This was of a male, hanging around the nests. He buzzed my head a few times before deciding that I was not a willing suitor and landing.
A few hours later I was back with the camera, and saw two males fighting in flight, but wasn't able to get off a shot.

I don't believe they live in the holes. The female digs the holes to place a paralyzed cicada with an egg in it. She then closes the hole. The egg hatches, and the larva eats the cicada until it is able to emerge from the ground. By then, the sevin is likely dissipated.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
You can see how close he let me get in the last shot, because one wing is in focus, and the other is not. I almost got him to land on me when something came up and I had to go.
This was of a male, hanging around the nests. He buzzed my head a few times before deciding that I was not a willing suitor and landing.
A few hours later I was back with the camera, and saw two males fighting in flight, but wasn't able to get off a shot.

I don't believe they live in the holes. The female digs the holes to place a paralyzed cicada with an egg in it. She then closes the hole. The egg hatches, and the larva eats the cicada until it is able to emerge from the ground. By then, the sevin is likely dissipated.
Do you know when the larva matures and surfaces?
I ask because 5 or 6 years ago I had a thread on here in the spring with what looked like an ant mound, but no ants???

I never did find out what it was

Then God created Women