Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-10-2011, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Am I a sellout?

Hey guys/gals. I own an organic lawn care company and I'm thinking of adding small amounts of liquid urea (23-0-0) to my program to help increase colour and bulk and ultimately customer satisfaction and less weeds. Up until now I've relied on topdressing, effective micro-organisms and other nutrients but have stayed away from fertilizers believing it wasn't "organic" and would do damage to microbes. The problem is, I'm not achieving the colour I want and there's still many weeds and "underwhelmed" customers. To be honest, I've been going through so much Fiesta I can't help but wonder if it would be more sustainable to use a chemical fertilizer to thicken the grass and outcompete the weeds rather than continuing to soak the lawn with Fiesta.

I have no experience using liquid urea and so I had a few questions:

1. Is urea safe for pets/people? For instance, could they go on the lawn immediately after spraying with no negative health consequences?)

2. How long does urea last (could I keep it in my garage for a year, do I need to mix it periodically?)

3. Will urea damage microbes or undo work I've done with topdressing and adding in microbes?

4. I recently won "Green Business of the Year" in my local area. I am very sensitive about not green washing or selling out? Am I? Someone said to me "well, will the customers lawn still be safe for bare feet?" That is our tagline..."go ahead, take off your shoes." I assume it would be safe so perhaps it's fine. I don't know. What do you think?

Thanks,

John
Old 08-10-2011, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually, I think I 've found even a better option. It is a new product and called N- Sure. It's 60% controlled Nitrogen. Here's the link...http://www.growercentral.com/index.c...TOKEN=89640169
Old 08-10-2011, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think you should compromise your principles or mission to be green with that sort of shortcut.

Two ideas...one is Milorganite. Wouldn't that provide you with a natural, recycled product that will provide a long-lasting green?

2nd is ICT Bill's organic program compost tea. Wouldn't that give you the nitrogen boost you are looking for? Not sure if you had looked into his program or not.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dried sewage on your barefeet... Milorganite is 4-2-0 + Fe4, which is organic but is still dried sewage, not composted sewage and it really stinks when wet even though it is 'safe' on your bare feet, becuz it is sterilized...
The Urea question is debateable in that I wouldn't bother with liquid ferts at all...
Old 08-13-2011, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Eco-guy you are contributing to the Failure of the Lawn Care Industry.
Your Green Award should be taken away from you.

All you did was try and be different (save the world) but failed. How will you and your fancy Black Tie Chamber of Commerce repay all the persons that were affected by your lack of true understanding when it comes to protecting the Environment from so called TOXIC chemicals.

Shame on you.

Urea will not solve your weed problems.

You will have to torch and kill all of your unhappy customers to prove that Organics are the answer. Even though you are wrong.

Just like Greenpeace does.

http://www.duncancc.bc.ca/chamber-ev...-black-tie.htm
Old 08-13-2011, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

You're a classy dude Haybay. Thanks for the helpful advice.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Haybay, thanks for introducing my business to everyone by providing that link. If you could do the same now for your business, we can converse like men. I'm assuming a lot in that last statement.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Congratulations on your award!

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-13-2011, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your Welcome.

You provided all the info.

Go ahead and exploit me, its already been done here before. No loss

Stop pandering to the enviro wankers and people profiting off the fear. They are bottom feeders.

Remember 2 things out of this

1.) I didnt take your money and lie to you

2.) Health Canada Approved Pesticides are not TOXIC
Old 08-13-2011, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

HayBay. Anyone this fired up about the industry is either scared about what's coming, feels guilty about what has occured or has been burnt. You assume a TON in your analysis of both me and my business. You have constructed a straw man and called him Ecoguy. I am not, have not and will never use fear in my approach. I always focus my terminology on health and use a VERY positive approach. I won the award not because all my lawns are weed free but because we work with integrity to grow the best lawn while avoiding products that compromise the health and well being of my customers. My urea question was genuine as I've never used it before and wanted to remain honest. Sorry if my question hit a nerve.

So....what's your business? We'd love to learn from your approach.