Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2011, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What is hauling and disposal of yard debris?

A customer I used to do regular work for has had a tenant in there taking care of the yard the last few years asked me to haul a brush pile now that the tenant has moved out. I did the work on a time & material basis, as usual for them and as discussed on the phone, and emailed an invoice. The invoice was broken down into labor $75 and "hauling and disposal of yard debris" $75 for a total of $150. I sent a picture of my truck/trailer parked in front of where the pile was showing that it's now in my dump trailer. He emailed back and asked what "hauling and disposal of yard debris" is.

Really???? I have sent out countless invoices with that description on it and never had a question. Isn't it self explanatory????

This was my reply: "Hauling and disposal of yard debris" is the fee for transporting (hauling) and disposing of the leaves, weeds, prunings, and woody material (collectively referred to as yard debris) that were contained in the pile that was located in the driveway, as well as the low limbs I pruned over the driveway and some dead limbs that were piled along the stone wall near the driveway.

Reading between the lines I'm thinking that he thought it was too much money. I don't think so...waiting to hear back. Everything was all in a heap, all criss crossed with vines and weeds and brush all mixed together. It nearly filled my 7 x 12 dump trailer which holds 8 yards. I think he'd have to look pretty hard to find someone to get rid of that pile for less....feeling kind of unappreciated and baffled.
Attached Images

Last edited by Darryl G; 08-11-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I look at debris removal as construction related debris.

Brush removal would be what your doing. That's just the way I see it.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 08-11-2011, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I actually googled "yard debris" and numerous municipalities have descriptions of it that are consistent with mine. Considering the fact that he knew I was hauling off the pile he made, I just find it strange that he would need me to explain it to him.

http://www.ci.salisbury.nc.us/pubser...ts/debris.html
Old 08-11-2011, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya I mis read your post so ignore my last post.

Some people are just odd and you gotta learn to laugh.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 08-11-2011, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I have found that people tend to think that once the debris is on the truck they feel that your job is done at there property. Being that it takes me approx 1 hour to go to the dump and get rid fo the crap I always do a dump fee. This was not always the case, but no more will I be so dumb!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Darryl- your terminology is fine. The customer is a dolt who thinks your trying to put one over on him.

I too get the "could you just throw that "stuff" on your truck when you go? "Stuff" over the years has been evrything from bags of kitchen garbage to old tv's to a sleeper sofa. I always say sure just let write up an invoice real quick and get payment before I leave. Usually ends with "oh I thought you could dump stuff for free?!?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

seems pretty self explanatory to me. The guy sounds like an idiot. BTW...8 yards would cost me $64 just to get rid of it, never mind my time and fuel. 8 bucks a yard for brush.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I too have had to explain to customers that stuff does not magicially disappear from my truck after I leave their property. Well it is close to magic to be able to press that button and have my load dump for me...I don't miss the days of unloading by hand. But I have to plan carefully because the municipal dump site is only open 21 hours a week. I do have areas to dump leaves, grass/hedge clippings and light brush out back on my property, but I try to avoid dumping woody material there that takes years to decompose.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The people that rent roll off containers in my area hold them with the debris in them until paided in full, then they haul it off. So, I guess if you don't pay you get your trash back. I know it's different with you using a dump trailer but, maybe the next time you haul something off just dump it here I guess. hahaha
Old 08-12-2011, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
I don't miss the days of unloading by hand.
Thats me...There are so many other things I'd like to invest in before a dump of some kind. It really stinks unloading stuff by hand, but not a priority. I may look into a roll away I think they are called with the tarp and attachment for the gate of the truck? Any body use one?