Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2011, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny scaper View Post
Thats me...There are so many other things I'd like to invest in before a dump of some kind. It really stinks unloading stuff by hand, but not a priority. I may look into a roll away I think they are called with the tarp and attachment for the gate of the truck? Any body use one?
I think you're talking about a Load Handler. They're ok. I've never had one but have seen them in use. You need a slick bed, and you can have problems with them pulling out from under the load...the material in front of the wheel wells can cause the material to lock in place so some hand unloaded may be necessary. But for the price they're not a bad option. I often lay a heavy duty cordura nylon tarp in my truck bed for hedge clippings and light brush, then just pull it out.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My dump is an eco friendly pain in my butt. Junk goes to one area, bricks, stone and lumber to another. The brush pile is divided into stumps and large branches in one pile, debris into another. Brazillian Pepper has to be taken into the burn building. No dumping allowed, hand only. County wage slave sitting in a truck all day watching you. Levering off 500lb root balls at the end of the day is great fun let me tell you. Oh and I get to pay 57 dollars a ton for this privaledge. Dump for free? No such thing in my world.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2011, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
I think you're talking about a Load Handler. They're ok. I've never had one but have seen them in use. You need a slick bed, and you can have problems with them pulling out from under the load...the material in front of the wheel wells can cause the material to lock in place so some hand unloaded may be necessary. But for the price they're not a bad option. I often lay a heavy duty cordura nylon tarp in my truck bed for hedge clippings and light brush, then just pull it out.
Yeah thats what I meant. I gotta look into it, but for the relatively low cost, may be the way to go for me at this point. Thanks for input.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny scaper View Post
Yeah thats what I meant. I gotta look into it, but for the relatively low cost, may be the way to go for me at this point. Thanks for input.
If you do, spent the little bit extra and get the heavy duty one, assuming you have a full sized truck. I don't think they make the heavy duty one for small trucks.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I am jealous of your trailer. Unfortunately for me I bought a 6 cyl truck before I kind of fell in to the lawn business so pulling a decent sized trailer is out of the question.

And I think your price was more than fair. The guy is either anal ( I have a few customers like this), thinks the price is to high, or just stupid.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Update - I didn't hear back from the guy so emailed him again and asked if he was satisfied with my reply. He wrote back and said, "Well, I think so...was it $75 to pick up and $75 to haul/dispose the same pile?".

Ok, so lets see, I have to take the initial call, told him I'd bill hourly plus hauling and told him my standard rate is $14/cubic yard. I had to go look at the job and then I had to work around other contractors doing renovation and pick it up late on a Saturday and then hold onto it until the following Monday. Of course I gotta hitch up the dump trailer, drive out there, load (including breaking down the brush because some of it was pretty long), tarp the load, haul it off, drive to disposal area, untarp and dump it, pay for the dumping, head back to the shop and unhitch the trailer, email the invoice and photos....I think you guys know the routine.

So here's my reply to him...I think you can tell I'm getting frustrated but hopefully it's not too unprofessional.
Yes Alex - $75 labor and $75 for hauling and disposal, as clearly stated on my invoice. That is in fact a discount from my standard rates. According to my standard rates it would have been a 2 hour minimum ($100) and $14/cubic yard for hauling and disposal ($84 using a conservative estimate of 6 cubic yards - my 8 yard trailer was nearly full). It was my intent to give you a good deal on this job and I think I did.

My experience has been that most people would have been delighted to have only been charged $150 for removal of such a pile. I even went above and beyond the call of duty and trimmed the nuissance low branches over the driveway, removed the pile of sticks along the stone wall and provided photographic documentation. Is there really an issue here? I would be happy to provide you with my prior invoices for this same type of work I have done for you in the past. My hauling/disposal rate was $12/cubic yard at that point a few years ago, but otherwise my billing is consistent with those prior invoices.

I have attached a link to the Town of ----------- Bulky Waste Disposal Rates for your reference. Had you disposed of the material yourself in a pickup truck, it would have probably required 3 trips ($15 each = $45) plus the $30 dump pass fee, or $75. Is there really an issue here?
I almost sent an email withdrawing my estimate for more work for him, basically to finish the job that he started, but decided not to. I don't want to P him off before I get paid, lol.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think you could be any clearer than that. This is why I stick to super simple "it will be xxx dollars to remove that pile" period. You really have to Fisher-Price (simplify) it down for some people or they think your trying to be slick with wording.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2011, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it would have been more simple that way and not given him anything to argue about. When I'd spoken with him I hadn't seen the pile yet and he said he didn't need a price, pretty much just get rid of it and bill him. Given my prior relationship with the client I didn't expect any problems.

It's funny how he didn't have any problems with my $600 and $900 invoices back in 2004 and 2006 for clearing and hauling brush. Perhaps it's because he lives up north in New Hampshire where nearly everyone has a pickup truck, labor is cheap and places to dump a brush pile are plentiful. Things are a bit different here down on the Connectcut shore! Had he called a tree service, it would have been a minimum of $250 for that pile. Had he gotten a roll-off dumpster it would have been even more. Sure, "Joe Pick-up Truck" might have done it for $100 and a 12 pack, but that's not comparing apples to apples. The work was done in a timely manner (1 week) in a workman-like manner by a licensed and insured professional.

As soon as I get a check this customer will be moved back to my "Inactive" customer category never to be dealt with again.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So how did he respond to that email?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got a reply from him last nite. He says there is no isssue and he'll send a check.