Register free!

Old 08-12-2011, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Newbie question - Irrigation company vs general landscaper

Hi all - Iíve posted a few other questions and have had great success. I recently renovated my front yard, and a professional irrigation company installed my system with backflow, wireless rain sensor, Hunter PRO-C controller and I20 heads (7 zones with 25 heads).
Now I am looking to expand this to my side yard and I can get this cheaper through my landscaper vs this irrigation company. My question, is now that the plumbing, backflow, etc is ok, do you think its safe to go with my landscaper? He does irrigation, but I have a hard time not going with the dedicated irrigation company, since this is what they do all day every day. He has done a great job on my yard and seems to know what he is talking about. My side yard will be an additional 25 heads or so, so I assume weíll just need another module. The difference in price is $700. Curious what everyones thoughts are
Old 08-12-2011, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is this the same irrigation company that did the original install? If you are happy with it then go with the irrigation company. Tell the landscaper to come on the forum sometime. We'll check him out for you.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is not very difficult for a scrub to install $700 worth of headaches with those 25 heads.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, let me clarify....yes I was going to have my original irrigation company come back and install the side yard. Price for 25 I20 heads and module, is $2,300. Then my landscaper said he could do the same thing for $1600...so $700 in savings, not $700 for the job.
I'd like to use my landscaper, he did a great job on my yard and would like to give him the business...just dont want to do that and then in 3 months i have to call that irrigation company to come fix it. If its pretty straight forward, then I may just go with the landscaper
Old 08-12-2011, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Send the landscaper over to us. we'll let you know if he's worth 700 less.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just be prepared to have to shop around for service in the future, or to have to do it yourself.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

1600 seems cheap to me, for basically 5 zones. Get some info on his past jobs of irrigation and check them out.. One question, why didn't you use the landscaper in the first place? Also you may want to ask the irrigation co. if they can meet the price, you never know.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your situation? How painful is it for you to spend the extra $700.00? You know the job will be done right.

Could be it's well worth it in the long run. I know I wouldn't be thrilled coming back to your yard knowing someone hacked into "my system". It may reside in your yard, but it is his system.

Did you approach the original installer to see if he's willing to move on his number? He may knock a little off for you....
Old 08-12-2011, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, all very useful. I went with the irrigation co the first time as I figured it would be pretty complex installing. I agree that $700 is probably worth it to ensure it gets done right. I tried having the irrigation co come down, they did throw in 3 more heads (area I initially wasnít going to include) and 1st year winterization which is about $80. So still at $2300.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

who are you going to have a longer relationship with? If its the landscaper, then I would give him a try and save the $. Just be home when they do the istall to ensure that is being done the same way.