Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2011, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

EPA released a statement ordering DuPont to suspend and recall its herbicide Imprelis

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress...6!OpenDocument

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-12-2011, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

thanks for posting.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Quote:
On August 4, 2011, DuPont voluntarily suspended sales of Imprelis and announced that it will soon conduct a product return and refund program.
Slow Dog

It looks like this is To Little To Late to stop the law suits that are going to arise from this. It is going to be interesting to see how Dupont handles this. A product refund program sure sounds to me like they are trying to cut their losses and not pay damages. I think there will be a lot of people who will not pursue litigation and eat their loss which is what Dupont is hoping for by offering a refund. To me the Refund is only proof positive they owe for the Trees damaged.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Slow Dog

It looks like this is To Little To Late to stop the law suits that are going to arise from this. It is going to be interesting to see how Dupont handles this. A product refund program sure sounds to me like they are trying to cut their losses and not pay damages. I think there will be a lot of people who will not pursue litigation and eat their loss which is what Dupont is hoping for by offering a refund. To me the Refund is only proof positive they owe for the Trees damaged.
Did anyone really expect DuPont to say, "Hey, our bad, we'll pay for all the damages."? It will take a fight and I see no reason not to seek damages from them. As the saying goes, "We all hate lawyers, until we need one."

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-12-2011, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

oh yeah, they are gonna be replacing some trees that is for sure. i think they are gearing up for it, and of course will only do it for the ones who gripe the most,
Old 08-12-2011, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Interesting! Since a article just hit Landscape magazine in my p o box this morning talking about the uses and areas to avoid while using this product. It seems that many lawsuits are pending and Dupont is acknowledging the problem and advocating the issue and informing readers of the problems. The thing is--What about those that purchased this product to use.....pretty much of the lawns in the north and everywhere has some sort of a pine, spruce,etc. as a landscape ornamental. Are these applicator's due for a refund or a rain-slip for a different purchase in the future.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What about the half-jugs sitting in storage?
Is it now illegal to use Imprelis? Unlawful to use it up and unlawful to dispose of Imprelis-- except at a costly chemical disposal facility.

Will there be a shortage of spruce trees for replacement purposes?
If you or your customer replace damaged trees promptly--does that mean you will not get reimbursed?
Old 08-13-2011, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is my take/interpretations:

1) Dupont "voluntarily" recalled Imprelis before the EPA made them. It's kinda like resigning before you get fired to save face.

2) Dupont has said they are going to buy back full and partial containers of all size. They think this stuff is too dangerous to remain in the applicators hands.?.

3) Dupont has issued statements about "how they regret any tree damage they may have caused" and "they will work to fairly and promptly resolve problems associated with Imprelis". These are not exact word for word quotes but you get the idea. Not sure what that means. The optimist will say they are going to compensate for dead trees. Pessimist will say it mean nothing. Time will tell!

impelis-facts.com has a record of all the latest statements from dupont. That is where most of this interpretation came from.

I personally have damage. It should not break me, but it will hurt a lot. My customers have been very understanding which helps but my gray hair count has grown the last two months. The last few weeks I have not seen damage progress, which in my mind is good news as it will take new growth to see any signs of recovery. Hopefully my customers can maintain their patience and DuPont comes through.

In response to Riggle's post: One of the statements Dupont released contained information regarding the removal and replacement of trees. That can be found on the imprelis-facts.com site.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Recall made the front page of the local newspaper this morning.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So what about the distributors that continued selling Imprelis all the way up to it's being recalled, despite all the publicity we've all been hearing about damage? Seems like it might take a little while to rebuild trust with their customers...