Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2011, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for all the great advice! I'm thinking i'm going to go with the red max. However, I've seen a lot of companies don't run the trimmers with a debris shield. I was wondering what the purpose of that is? Thanks!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Dawg View Post
Thanks everyone for all the great advice! I'm thinking i'm going to go with the red max. However, I've seen a lot of companies don't run the trimmers with a debris shield. I was wondering what the purpose of that is? Thanks!
some say the longer string helps not to guage the grass however will put more stress on the tranny thats up for debate next
Old 08-16-2011, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showpropserv View Post
some say the longer string helps not to guage the grass however will put more stress on the tranny thats up for debate next
Thanks for the insite.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

On my 6th year with an Echo SRM210. I use it 6 days a week. Some days light, some days hard. I've done minimal maintenance - replace plug, air filter, fuel filter and cleaned the exhaust screen. Sorry I can't tell you about other trimmers but this dang thing keeps on working.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

KGT27B kawi if you can still find them. New model Kawi have upgraded the emissions to make the EPA happy but the loss of power doesnt make me happy. but this is true for all 2011 trimmers Ive been told. I run a few with the hollow steel shaft and I have one with the flex shaft. The hollow steel has a much better feel imo. The flex shaft have that slight torque delay that makes the trimer yaw a bit when you gun it. But overall power to weight I love. And at around $320 give or take a little I think the price is pretty good. Only other brand/model I can base my opinion on is that I ran "high torque" echo trimmers for years before making the switch over to Kawi and I am happy Im running Kawi now.
14x7 landscaping trailer
12x6 P&T hydro dump trailer w/leaf box
We run Gravely ZTRs, Honda 21"s, Kawasaki trimmers, Redmax Backpacks, LittleWonder loader
Old 08-17-2011, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone! take care
Old 08-18-2011, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

for what it's worth, i would say go with the stihl...i have done a lot of research on trimmers and found that the fs100 is the way to go for strictly a trimmer...you can put attachments on the fs90, although it's heavier than the fs100...i have two fs100's and 1 fs90 strictly for trimming, didn't exactly mean to get the fs90...

also, we just put a speedfeed head on one of the fs100's, in my opinion the ultimate trimmer...used to love the shindaiwas but since echo bought them out, and our dealer stopped carrying shindaiwa, we stopped buying them...we also have a great stihl dealer so that was pretty much the deal breaker...that's my .02
Old 08-19-2011, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

How often do you use them? everyday?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used Shindaiwa and Echo and out of the two I have, I prefer the Shindaiwa. My favorite dealers here where I buy all of my stuff have quit selling Shindaiwa because they say its harder to get the parts. They all solely sell Redmax now. I think my next trimmer will probably be a Redmax and I think its gonna be the bcz2460ts. It looks like an amazing machine and really the only downside to me is the head isn't a speed feed like my Shindaiwa x.x I run my trimmers without the guards despite what some on Lawnsite might call a mistake. 90% of LCO's in my area run them without guards too. Reasons for that are greater visibility, lightens the weight of the machine that you have to hold all day, larger cutting swath, guard doesnt get in the way of trimming, etc...
I love my Echo and I've never had problems with it, but I prefer the Shindaiwa because I think its more ergonomic, the head is a better head, and a few other minor differences. Any opinions on the new Redmax?

Shindaiwa T242X
Echo SRM225
Redmax EBZ8001
Snapper Commercial 21
Homemade landscape box
Plenty of soon to comes
Old 10-10-2011, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

redmax does have a speed feed head available for that trimmer. I use the Tr2350 and have never had a prob