Register free!

Old 08-13-2011, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

PG Rig or other HELP

I just put a former TG guy on a test run. He mixed this batch.
2 50lb bags of urea,
3 cups of sprint 138 Chelletted iron
50 oz Speed Zone
1 oz Octane SC
200 gal water

Now I told him to spray before 10 am so it was around 75 deg F.

The problem is I have never burned a lawn so I don't know what it looks like but the lawn he sprayed is yellow bad in most areas. This is a week 2 days later. Some spots are not yellow though. It looks like insects have eaten the roots out. This is not the case but after asking him what his process to the spray was he said this, I changed the nozzle out too the 3 gal instead of the 2 gal tip and sprayed it heavy overlapping it good. I didn't miss anything he said.

I'm thinking over soaked? Maybe to much overlapping? I don't know but its bad! It looks like its dead really. The customer is going nuts and I don't know what to do for the lawn.

Any help on what to do would be so helpful! From the right way to explain to the customer to the reviving steps of the lawn if its not dead... I figured by turning the water up would be the first thing to do.

The area of turf is about 10k and Mostly KGB 80 % with some Fine fescue 10%/ Rye mix 10%.

I'm really sweating this bad.

I don't think the guy is going to make my crew but until I figure out what happened I'm putting his chance of hire on hold. I feel it might have been something else like a bad product.

Thanks so much everyone on the site, everyone is such a great help and most are team players all the way!
Old 08-13-2011, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

He sprayed 1 lawn?

You've sprayed this mix (on this lawn) before? This time of year? These conditions?

Heck, you could educate me by telling me what you were trying to achieve with each of those additives.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vencops View Post
He sprayed 1 lawn?

You've sprayed this mix (on this lawn) before? This time of year? These conditions?

Heck, you could educate me by telling me what you were trying to achieve with each of those additives.
Fertilizition urea
Broadleaf speedzone
faster burn down with the octane
Iron darker green

Ive used a mix simalar to this but a little more speedzone 1 cup less iron and more urea. But I use a 2 gal per min nozzle.

Havent used speedzone at this temp or time of year before no.

The conditions were fine.?.

I dont know the time he sprayed the lawn but I said to do it before the high heat which was around 90 that day.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster View Post
I just put a former TG guy on a test run. He mixed this batch.
2 50lb bags of urea,
3 cups of sprint 138 Chelletted iron
50 oz Speed Zone
1 oz Octane SC
200 gal water

Now I told him to spray before 10 am so it was around 75 deg F.

The problem is I have never burned a lawn so I don't know what it looks like but the lawn he sprayed is yellow bad in most areas. This is a week 2 days later. Some spots are not yellow though. It looks like insects have eaten the roots out. This is not the case but after asking him what his process to the spray was he said this, I changed the nozzle out too the 3 gal instead of the 2 gal tip and sprayed it heavy overlapping it good. I didn't miss anything he said.

I'm thinking over soaked? Maybe to much overlapping? I don't know but its bad! It looks like its dead really. The customer is going nuts and I don't know what to do for the lawn.

Any help on what to do would be so helpful! From the right way to explain to the customer to the reviving steps of the lawn if its not dead... I figured by turning the water up would be the first thing to do.

The area of turf is about 10k and Mostly KGB 80 % with some Fine fescue 10%/ Rye mix 10%.

I'm really sweating this bad.

I don't think the guy is going to make my crew but until I figure out what happened I'm putting his chance of hire on hold. I feel it might have been something else like a bad product.

Thanks so much everyone on the site, everyone is such a great help and most are team players all the way!
Also a s-90 non ionic surfactant was added ,got him on phone and said 2 qaurts.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so what was your/his spray rate?

also, why add octane to a speedzone mixture that already has carfentrazone in it?

any undesirable effects noticed on anything else such a nearby ornamentals?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not questioning what you mixed. I'm just wondering what the surfactant was for.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vencops View Post
I'm not questioning what you mixed. I'm just wondering what the surfactant was for.
Yes I agree. There was some on the truck and he said that before with TG he always used a surfactant so he added some but he added only half the rate. Im going nuts and cant figure out why the lawn is so bad right now. Even at the high flow 3 gal min nozzle the mix shouldnt be that far off. But walking slower than I do might have overdosed it?
Old 08-13-2011, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbturf View Post
so what was your/his spray rate?

also, why add octane to a speedzone mixture that already has carfentrazone in it?

any undesirable effects noticed on anything else such a nearby ornamentals?
My spray rate is 2 gal per min per 1k.
His he said was the same but then he told me he changed to nozzle out to the 3 gal per min which I use the 2 gal. I never had him spray water for a test run due to his 8 years exp with TG.

Good point I think he wanted to show me he could really get it done???

Making the customer happy becasue the weeds are dead on showing signs of death same day? Thus he added more quick burn down octane?

This is just messed up!!

Last edited by GrandMaster; 08-13-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You didn't tell him how to mix the solution?
What rate of solution per 1000 sqft did he apply? What pressure? How many gpm was he spraying? Skid sprayer or Permagreen?
Did he use the whole tank on that same lawn? Why did he switch to the 3 gpm nozzle?

So he had 46 pounds of actual nitrogen. In hot weather he should have used that on 100,000 sqft, (giving .46 lbs nitrogen per 1000 sqft).
But you say he used 50 ounces of Speedzone; at the minimum label rate of 1.1 oz per thousand he would have enough to cover 45,000 sqft.
So...I am thinking he applied 4 gals per thousand. About twice as much urea as is considered safe, unless temperatures are below 70.
He said he soaked it down good, without missing any spots.
If you look carefully you will be able to see where he sprayed, and the path he took. Areas in the shade may not be injured much. Possible overfertilized--tell the customer he is lucky as he got more than he paid for. LOL! It should recover in 3 weeks.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
You didn't tell him how to mix the solution?
What rate of solution per 1000 sqft did he apply? What pressure? How many gpm was he spraying? Skid sprayer or Permagreen?
Did he use the whole tank on that same lawn? Why did he switch to the 3 gpm nozzle?

So he had 46 pounds of actual nitrogen. In hot weather he should have used that on 100,000 sqft, (giving .46 lbs nitrogen per 1000 sqft).
But you say he used 50 ounces of Speedzone; at the minimum label rate of 1.1 oz per thousand he would have enough to cover 45,000 sqft.
So...I am thinking he applied 4 gals per thousand. About twice as much urea as is considered safe, unless temperatures are below 70.
He said he soaked it down good, without missing any spots.
If you look carefully you will be able to see where he sprayed, and the path he took. Areas in the shade may not be injured much. Possible overfertilized--tell the customer he is lucky as he got more than he paid for. LOL! It should recover in 3 weeks.
Man I know I kick my self on this one! I never mixed it with him but we went over the rates and he knew what to do. So I let him go with it, mainly due to the reason for his hire was to over see the fertilize accounts and handle it himself.
It was a 200 gal spray which before I used only 80-100 gal. So he over sprayed it for sure.
Before the lawn was getting 50 lbs per acre. urea at 100 gal water per bag 46-0-0.
Weed kill was around 1oz per 1k so 40 oz per acre.
This property is about 1 acre total.
Lol I can see lines where he swung the nozzle.
Man its so fried!
The customer is loving it due to the fact that he got a extra bonus no mowing for a month!
The pressure on skid sprayer hose when I fired it up was at 215 psi and with the 3 gal per min nozzle! OMG hes toast! He must have been pushing out 8-9 gal a min to use 200 gal.
Im so bugged right now mainly becasue I cant figure why he change it up this way. Does TG teach this?