Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-14-2011, 07:06 PM
jwsland's Avatar
jwsland jwsland is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bucks County PA
Posts: 236
which leaf loader/shredder

I'm looking at some billy goat model on craigslist currently. My question is what hp level should I be looking at? Some of my leaf clean-up are pretty big. Will a 12 hp model cut it or should I be looking at something like an 18hp?

I've never owned a leaf/debris loader so any input is appreciated.

It will somehow need to be compatable with my truck/ dump trailer combo. tailgate mount, sit in the bed or attached to the dump trailer while not paralyzing the dump feature.
__________________
Couple Powerstrokes, couple trailers, bunch of X-Series and a lot of happy customers!



facebook.com/jwslandscaping
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,993
I'd say 16 to 18HP minimum. The smaller ones may do ok with fresh dry leaves but fail big time in tougher conditions. I think the problem is more the smaller intake diameter rather than HP, but still bigger is better. Even the larger units can have a hard time digesting stuff. It goes a lot slower than you might think. When you get up to the larger trailer mounted units, they can really get the job done.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-14-2011, 11:18 PM
grassman177's Avatar
grassman177 grassman177 is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: leavenworth, kansas
Posts: 9,789
i agree, we have a 27hp trailer model and it is awesome, but much less than i would say 18 would just not be enough
__________________
all is fair in love and grass! Man, it smells like sheet, do you smell that!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-15-2011, 12:09 AM
cuttin-to-the-Max cuttin-to-the-Max is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Commerce,MI
Posts: 1,329
!6 SUCKS( and not in a good way!) im sorry but we used to have a 16HP little wonder and it was sooo slow. Now we have a 27HP Billy goat...even with a long i think 10-15 Ft hose it still has GREAT suction! its the best rig we have! Bigger is Truly better in this sense
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-15-2011, 01:50 PM
DIXIECONTRACTING's Avatar
DIXIECONTRACTING DIXIECONTRACTING is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 283
18HP minimum
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-15-2011, 07:20 PM
jwsland's Avatar
jwsland jwsland is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bucks County PA
Posts: 236
Thanks for the input guys. I looked at them today. I'm going with ther 18 hp skid/gate mounted since a tow behind model isn't an option, I have to blow the leaves into my dump trailer.

The billy goat seems to have better specs for my needs compared to little wonder. (The two popular companies in my area)
__________________
Couple Powerstrokes, couple trailers, bunch of X-Series and a lot of happy customers!



facebook.com/jwslandscaping
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-15-2011, 08:01 PM
cuttin-to-the-Max cuttin-to-the-Max is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Commerce,MI
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsland View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I looked at them today. I'm going with ther 18 hp skid/gate mounted since a tow behind model isn't an option, I have to blow the leaves into my dump trailer.

The billy goat seems to have better specs for my needs compared to little wonder. (The two popular companies in my area)
You can always make MODS to the leaf loader to work with your rig. THis is a 2HHP "trailer Mount" But we mounted it onto a Home made welded rack on the tongue of the trailer.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-15-2011, 08:14 PM
cuttin-to-the-Max cuttin-to-the-Max is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Commerce,MI
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttin-to-the-Max View Post
You can always make MODS to the leaf loader to work with your rig. THis is a 2HHP "trailer Mount" But we mounted it onto a Home made welded rack on the tongue of the trailer.
Whoops its a 25HP Vangaurd
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-17-2011, 01:21 AM
kemco's Avatar
kemco kemco is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 388
I bought a Little Wonder 16hp two seasons ago. At the time it was all I could afford to spend. I like it, dont get me wrong, I think it does a pretty good job of shredding as it loads. 16hp gets the job done but if I could do it over again I would look at a min 20hp, seriously. If you do a good number of jobs, and we do, 16hp is just barely getting by imo. And I would def look for battery start. Pulling to start a 16hp gets a little old... or maybe it's me that's getting a little old... my b-day is in 40 minutes.
__________________
www.KemcoLawnServices.com
www.GotLeaves.com
2008 F-350 Super Duty Dually gas guzzler
14x7 landscaping trailer
12x6 P&T hydro dump trailer w/leaf box
We run Gravely ZTRs, Honda 21"s, Kawasaki trimmers, Redmax Backpacks, LittleWonder loader
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-17-2011, 02:32 AM
cuttin-to-the-Max cuttin-to-the-Max is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Commerce,MI
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemco View Post
I bought a Little Wonder 16hp two seasons ago. At the time it was all I could afford to spend. I like it, dont get me wrong, I think it does a pretty good job of shredding as it loads. 16hp gets the job done but if I could do it over again I would look at a min 20hp, seriously. If you do a good number of jobs, and we do, 16hp is just barely getting by imo. And I would def look for battery start. Pulling to start a 16hp gets a little old... or maybe it's me that's getting a little old... my b-day is in 40 minutes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 AM.

Page generated in 0.09760 seconds with 8 queries