Register free!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Budget formula

I have a GC/Developer that just built a new home and needs finish landscaping as well as some site work fixed up (driveway re graded, boulder retaining wall fixed, final grading etc.) I have a price for the site work (around 10k) and need to come up with a rough budget for the landscaping.

He wants about 250 sq ft of irregular bluestone patio layed, and then some foundation plantings with perennials. The house is already on the market for 879k, is there a percentage of home value that is used that will get me in the general area of budget before final tweaking?

He wants the rough estimate before he is willing to pay for an LA to do a design.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No. There is no magic formula. The only way that you're going to get a number is with a detailed design and an carefully calculated estimate. The "formula" for your estimate is Labor+Materials+Overhead+Tax on Materials+Profit. If you GC doesn't want to spend money on a plan first then he's an idiot! On an $879K house the landscape can make or break a sale and be the difference between getting his asking price or substantially less.