Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2011, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Gross Profit Margins

We have been in the landscape business for about 5 yrs now and started doing irrigation installs and service this year. We were wondering what gross profit margins yall strive for with irrigation new installs and service work as well.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a true answer for you about profit percentages, but I can give you my experience on the pros and cons.

Im in the southeast and pulling pipe is basically unheard of here, the ground just isn't conducive to that application. I see you are in louisiana and would venture to say you would likely be putting in PVC as well. Installation using pvc I have found to be a very low "profit" gig. It will generally pay bills and keep a crew busy, which isn't a bad thing, but you aren't going to get rich off of it without running 2-3 jobs at a time. The only good side of installation I have found is it keeps crews busy for longer stretches and you have time to accomplish other things as a business owner, so it basically helps to keep you from scrambling for work. The trade off for me is, it is basically an "everybody gets paid" scenario but there isn't much left after overhead and labor.

Service work on the other hand can be very profitable, but it's seasonal and you have to have well trained employees. I can confidently say, 1 good week of service work will make me more "true profit" than 1 solid month of installation. That doesn't mean I could carry a company on a weeks worth of service for the month, just means if I look at my total "profit" from a months worth of installation, the 1 week of service work can at times easily outproduce.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have different GM for service and install.
install is very competitive; service, if you do a good job, you can write your own ticket.

pg
Old 08-15-2011, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I paid my guys $20.00 hr., billed it out @ $80.00. Billed parts @ list or 45%. The only time I billed for myself was when I got my hands dirty.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Done right the margins can be rather good on installs , and better than good on service. Plowing if you can in your area is the labor saver . Yuo only get out of it what you put into it