Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2011, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How to cut time at each job?

In the past I have been able to efficently complete 8-12 jobs in an 8 hour day. Lately, It seems as I am working twice as hard and I am lucky to get 6-8 done. I have been using the same routine for a couple of years and within the 6-12 months I have noticed a decrease in production.

I work with 1 helper. Motivation is not the problem. We aren't goofing off all day.

Does anyone use a checklist or a specific routine that has proven to you to save time that I can possibly incorporate into being more efficient?

Most of my jobs are 1/4 to 3/4 acres mowed. Average size lots.

Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One thing I have done when I first started but I have not done lately is time each job. On the Gopher Software schedule I print off has a start time and a finish time, so I had an idea of time management. I will restart that tomorrow for a couple of weeks.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

For me, it's the heat. Makes me move slower and take more time getting water etc..
Old 07-19-2011, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

use roundup when you can...i cut a trailer park with 7 trailers and some squares of grass on each side of them......it took about 3 hrs to mow, trim, etc...i used roundup around every trailer, under the steps, and such...now it takes 1hr 15min....it took that much time off...use it whenever you can...not only does it make the job easier but it makes it alot faster...now i don't even have to get the trimmer off the truck anymore...i just mow and go...simple, easy, fast...judge for yourself when and where to use it...obviously on the edges of driveways, sidewalks, or curbs is not a good place to use it...but around telephone poles, street signs, out buildings, rock beds, fence lines, etc. are good places to use it....it will really speed up things and make your job easier as well.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think round-up is my answer. For a commercial or industrial site I have heard of people using a non-selective herbicide or a soil sterilizer along fences, building and such.

Mainly I am wondering what order do most folks peform different task. ie string trimmer, edger, trim shrubs, etc.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=356823

found a good thread.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

roundup is a herbicide lol...buy it at the co-op for about $60 for 2.5 gallons...mix about 12oz with 2 gallons of water...more or less

the order in which you do things isn't gonna speed up anything...it takes the same amount of time either way.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
roundup is a herbicide lol...buy it at the co-op for about $60 for 2.5 gallons...mix about 12oz with 2 gallons of water...more or less

the order in which you do things isn't gonna speed up anything...it takes the same amount of time either way.
Yes I know round-up/glyphosate is a herbicide. Aka non-selective herbicide 2.5 gallons is going sub $50 here. Label is rarely more than 2-4 oz per gallon. Anything more than that is a waste. The plant can only absorb so much. Cut your rate and save you some money.

I think this is where we are different. I'm not going to spraying round-up on everything I don't want to trim with the string trimmer. 95% of my yards are top notch. My lawns are manicured to the fences, around telephone poles, mail boxes, etc.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It may be the heat draining on us. Jobs that were taking 30-40 minutes are now taking 45-60 minutes. My routine might not be flawed.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter337 View Post
It may be the heat draining on us. Jobs that were taking 30-40 minutes are now taking 45-60 minutes. My routine might not be flawed.
Augusta,GA way to hot to mow or live,gotta move further north to a cooler climate to increase production