Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2011, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bermuda Grass - Am I peein' in the wind?

How do you guys with cool-season grasses deal with neighbors who aren't with the program (re: TRYING to keep bermuda grass out)?

I've got a great string of lawns on my 2012 program. I have one area that's not going to be treated (although I think I'll get his business on the better part of his lawn). And, it's directly adjacent to one of my customer's lawn. It's heavily infested with bermuda grass.

Am I peein' in the wind? I'm guessing I don't want to know the pricing on the product I'd need to keep it out.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ven, I think your suspicions are correct. No product is going to work except, glyphosate.
Deep plastic edging is my suggestion. Even so, you will have to patrol the area frequently and hand pull or kill and reseed any gaps where Bermuda gets over the barrier.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I may end up mowing over there, too (I mow it, now...while it's under construction). But, if I don't (wouldn't bother me too much), the LCO over there's probably gonna be blowing seed into my good grass. The guy's probably going to sign up for my program. But, he won't be doing anything special in this area. There's also a commons area across the street. Bermuda grass seed abounds.........

Peein' in the wind.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ven,
I am not sure about the seed situation. Maybe our warm season grass experts can advise us. Some Bermuda doesn't produce much viable seed. Not much seed if mowed short. I think the seed is not of much importance. The spread due to aggressive rhizomes and stolens...is the main concern.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Riggle

Common Bermuda Propagates by both Vegetative and Seed or Sexually and non-Sexually. Once a seed (Sexual Propagation) get a hold it will spread. Checking on line I find 3 products listed as controlling Bermuda in Blue Grass.

Vencop

Some advice to remember all your life. Always face down wind when peeing.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is putting in a mulch bed near that area an option? Just an idea.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Vencop

Some advice to remember all your life. Always face down wind when peeing.
Ric:

Duly noted!

I'll do a search and see what I find. I've "heard" ornamec will "control" it. But, I've also "heard" it might not be completely safe on the fescue (or the bluegrass.....I can't recall) at the rate it would take to kill the bermuda. Like I said, I'll search more.

Ron:

Yes. That's an option. But, that option will have to wait until the home sells. It's currently on the market for just over $2M. I'm not even going to approach the current owner with that, just now. I wouldn't spend the money on that (if it was mine and on the market).
Old 08-17-2011, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I tried acclaim xl on some burmuda taking over fescue. Only a strip, went back a few days later and there was noticeable damage to burmuda. Next will be acclaim xl w/ turflon in the mix. Note this is in central OK, irrigated lawn, back yard, full sun (where burmuda is at).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-18-2011, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Acclaim with Turflon--didn't do much when I tried it. Most often recommended. Damaged it, but not enough.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

For me it is the other way around.................cool season grasses eliminated from the Bermuda. Ironic............people want it the other way. The stronger of the grass species will win.