Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-18-2011, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Celcius is good for lots of weeds

Speedzone southern is ok on centipede but I only use it when temps are very cool....maybe under 75.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-18-2011, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Celcius is good for lots of weeds

Speedzone southern is ok on centipede but I only use it when temps are very cool....maybe under 75.
Posted via Mobile Device
Grass ur right on the temps, you must reduce ur rate with it. They celsius is nice but slow that's okay, until you have a impatient homeowner who is paying " all this money" for a result. Lawn fertilization and weed control has been dominated by one company here for 25 years. If you want to break their hold you have to be aggressive. Like it or not, good or bad that's how tg moves in. Being aggressive. So all that said I have to be aggressive, show results. For a initial application I have had great success with this combo. Never forget we live in an instant gratification society, we all want results.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-18-2011, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have had good results adding Quicksilver to either Manor or Celsius. When possible, I avoid Three Way or Speedzone southern on centipede and st augustine. It is a rare occasion that it is 75 or less in the day here. I am under tremendous pressure to deliver results. Big, tall weeds that take 2-3 weeks to go down will not sell. I have to break through the idea that the only way to maintain a lawn is by hand weeding. Lawn care here is about 100 years behind the times in Hawaii. It seems that the bigger the weed, the more dramatic the kill from the Quicksilver. At 1-2 oz added to sedge control herbicides, it even visibly damages nutsedge and kyllinga within a week. These applications are all done broadcast with a boom. It does not work the same if spot sprayed or applied through something other than a fan tip at set spacings and heights.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I have had good results adding Quicksilver to either Manor or Celsius. When possible, I avoid Three Way or Speedzone southern on centipede and st augustine. It is a rare occasion that it is 75 or less in the day here. I am under tremendous pressure to deliver results. Big, tall weeds that take 2-3 weeks to go down will not sell. I have to break through the idea that the only way to maintain a lawn is by hand weeding. Lawn care here is about 100 years behind the times in Hawaii. It seems that the bigger the weed, the more dramatic the kill from the Quicksilver. At 1-2 oz added to sedge control herbicides, it even visibly damages nutsedge and kyllinga within a week. These applications are all done broadcast with a boom. It does not work the same if spot sprayed or applied through something other than a fan tip at set spacings and heights.
Doctor,
Looking at the Quicksilver label, I didnt realize it was carfentrazone as the active. The sedge burning your seeing is from that, That was the what I mentioned early in this thread. When I first saw the sedge getting burned with Speedzone southern, I called my rep and he said thats what people had been seeing. sedge isnt on the label but the carfentrazone will burn it. What are you using for goosegrass on st aug? is Revolver labeled for it?
Bshaffer@thrivelawns.com
www.thrivelawns.com
Old 08-19-2011, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

St Augustine is not on the label. However refer to the section of the label stating: "other warm season turf species and cultivars may be tolerant". I do know that well fertilized and watered st augustine will handle 20 oz Revolver. Do not try this on bahia, centipede or seashore paspalum. I use Revolver to remove those grasses from other warm season species.

Using carfentrazone to burn down sedges was a tip I got from the Monsanto Rep when I was discussing how slowly Certainty worked. He suggested Quicksilver + Certainty. Dismiss is not an option for me, it is illegal in Hawaii.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-19-2011, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

If you want to get rid of the bermuda as well, a combo of sethoxydim and image works very well. I would mix in some micros or Iron to help with phyto though.