Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-17-2011, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

annual white grubworms already

Anybody else seeing these bastards yet? We sure have. About one inch long when stretched out. Been treating nearly full grown grubs all week (some involved severe damage that has been going on for a while -- central Iowa) I'm figuring they are probably June beetle larvae rather than northern mask chafer or jap beetle larvae.
What is your favorate curitive insecticide? Any other reports? (gotta keep your land grant universities informed)

rscp, thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Anybody else seeing these bastards yet? We sure have. About one inch long when stretched out. Been treating nearly full grown grubs all week (some involved severe damage that has been going on for a while -- central Iowa) I'm figuring they are probably June beetle larvae rather than northern mask chafer or jap beetle larvae.
What is your favorate curitive insecticide? Any other reports? (gotta keep your land grant universities informed)

rscp, thanks
Larry

The definition of insanity is repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting a Different Results. Which is typical of TG/CL. Just a Years ago you posted this Thread about the same problem.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=325520

Imidacloprid is still a generic and costs less than $ 18.00 an acre as a Grub Preventive. At $ 89 a gallon it will do 5 acres. Maybe next year you can raise your price so you can afford to not have a Grub Problem, I know you Northern guys have a hard time getting even 1/3 the price per thousand we in Florida can charge. The reason might be that here in Florida they don't give away Certifications.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i used arena this year b/c it was given to me. this stuff has worked great for both chinch bugs and grubs.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We could use some grubs. Less than 5% of my customers use a preventative and I rescue 1-2 lawns a year. More grubs would help my sales.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandview View Post
We could use some grubs. Less than 5% of my customers use a preventative and I rescue 1-2 lawns a year. More grubs would help my sales.
Grandview

Here in Florida I find communities with Man Made Canals have more grubs problems than other areas. There are reasons for this which I won't go into here. As Professionals with many years of experience, we should know where and when we have problems each year. BMP (Best Management Practices) and the Record keeping is a part of being a PRO ACTIVE PROFESSIONAL. If you repeatedly have the same problems year after year then Life is going to be Tougher for you.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 08-18-2011, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do not have seasons in my area. I do have bill bugs, chinch bugs, grubs and webworm though. Never noticed problems in the old days because the common treatment for lawns was diazinon. Yes Ric, that was the go-to product in my area. But with that long gone and the residual from years of soaking lawns in diazinon faded, I have had more soil insect issues. Even brand name Merit 75 WSP is not a bank breaker for me. It is all figured into what is needed on a yearly basis to maintain fine turf. I usually combine Dylox or a "thrin" with the Merit because I am seeing insect activity at the time of treatment. Dylox is another product that takes on a different life if the tank mix contains LI 700. My water pH, is at least 7.5 and Dylox lasts all of 10 minutes if pH is over 7

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-18-2011, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I would suggest using Imidachloprid at 0.3lb.ai/a. I know dylox is the go to, but research shows merit gets more control. The trade off is merit takes 10-14 days vs 4 or 5 days with dylox. That being said a higher kill precentage taking effect a few days later will equal less damage overall. And yes this is also considering putting it down now as a curative, not a preventative. Oh and straight merit is cheaper per acre than dylox.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I do not have seasons in my area. I do have bill bugs, chinch bugs, grubs and webworm though. Never noticed problems in the old days because the common treatment for lawns was diazinon. Yes Ric, that was the go-to product in my area. But with that long gone and the residual from years of soaking lawns in diazinon faded, I have had more soil insect issues. Even brand name Merit 75 WSP is not a bank breaker for me. It is all figured into what is needed on a yearly basis to maintain fine turf. I usually combine Dylox or a "thrin" with the Merit because I am seeing insect activity at the time of treatment. Dylox is another product that takes on a different life if the tank mix contains LI 700. My water pH, is at least 7.5 and Dylox lasts all of 10 minutes if pH is over 7
Green

You don't have to tell me the advantages of Diazinon. Of everything that has come off the Market I miss Diazinon the most. Just today I ran into an old Structural/Termite Guy at Wally World. We were in fact talking about Bed Bugs and other problems. Chlordane, DDT, Lindane and Diazinon are all missed by older techs. Diazinon at one time even had a Nematode rate right on the bag.

With a average pH 9.5 on my Calcareous Sand, Dyloxs doesn't work real great. While LI 700 is a great acidifier it can't change the soil pH. But the Point here is to be smart enough to learn from past experiences and not have Grub problems every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiolawnguy928 View Post
I would suggest using Imidachloprid at 0.3lb.ai/a. I know dylox is the go to, but research shows merit gets more control. The trade off is merit takes 10-14 days vs 4 or 5 days with dylox. That being said a higher kill precentage taking effect a few days later will equal less damage overall. And yes this is also considering putting it down now as a curative, not a preventative. Oh and straight merit is cheaper per acre than dylox.
Ohio

All the more reason to treat Grubs Preventative. I sorry but at $ 18.00 an acre chemical cost, I can't see not using imidacloprid.

Do a search about Grub control. There are certain area in a yard where Grubs are more likely to be. A good spray tech knows these area and will either spot treat or be sure to give a good treatment in those areas. Grub Eggs will absorb twice their weight in water over the incubation period. Therefore they need to be laid in very wet but not soaked area. This is generally just above the high water mark. I Blanket treat, but I make sure to pound those Grub favorable ares extra hard. It has been a long time since I had Grub Damage.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I realize I posted a similar report regarding annual white grubworms about a year ago, but each year is different. Different types of grubworms can quickly wipe out areas of lawns here, so that's why ISU is very concerned. I spoke with ISU entomologists yesterday. They had reports about 3 weeks ago from Iowa goff courses regarding damage from Black Turfgrass Ataenius grubworms, but my report regarding "noticeable injury to turf" was the 1st they heard of.

I'm figuring it is May/June beetle larvae, but the ISU folks want to know for sure which larvae it is. They need to know the raster pattern (found on the butt of larvae) to determine what rascal it is. To me, they're all the same --just kill 'em with Dylox.

Raster patterns:

Jap beetle larvae = V pattern
May'June larvae = 2 lines
Northern Masked Chafer = no distinct pattern
Old 08-18-2011, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ah yes chlordane - one whiff of that would take the hairs outta your nose.
Worked though....
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13