Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2011, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Ric,
I'm not sure how my customers choosing not to use our grub prevention application makes me a crappy applicator. My job as an applicator/salesman is to inform the customer of the risks and advantages of each application, give them my professional opinion, and then let them take the information I have provided and make an educated decision. Probably 50% of my customers get a grub pre. I have many who have never applied one since the house was built, have never had grubs, or enough of them to do any damage, and probably never will. Should I go and try to force these people into applying a grub pre? IPM says no, that would be the used car salesman. Not everyone drives a BMW, some drive junkers. Those same people only want to budget so much on a lawn and we can get them a pretty good looking lawn for that. If they get grubs, we will catch it before it gets out of control and will kill/pre after that.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by klsgc View Post
Ric,
I'm not sure how my customers choosing not to use our grub prevention application makes me a crappy applicator. My job as an applicator/salesman is to inform the customer of the risks and advantages of each application, give them my professional opinion, and then let them take the information I have provided and make an educated decision. Probably 50% of my customers get a grub pre. I have many who have never applied one since the house was built, have never had grubs, or enough of them to do any damage, and probably never will. Should I go and try to force these people into applying a grub pre? IPM says no, that would be the used car salesman. Not everyone drives a BMW, some drive junkers. Those same people only want to budget so much on a lawn and we can get them a pretty good looking lawn for that. If they get grubs, we will catch it before it gets out of control and will kill/pre after that.
klsgc

I think you are missing the point about BMP. Best Management Practice which include IMP integrated Pest Management. BTW these Letter also stand for IMP = I Pay Material and BMP = Better Make a Profit.

The Big part of BMP is Record keeping because things like Grubs and Brown patch will occur over and over again each year. Therefore knowing and keeping records allows you to Prevent them from happening. It takes less chemical to prevent a Pest than it does to Cure or control a Pest. The Old Oz of Prevention is worth a pound of Cure. Hopefully the Tree hugger will appreciate our trying to protect the environment. BUT The POINT IS KNOWNING YOUR PEST PRESSURE AND SELLING THE APPROPERATE PROGRAM.

OVER SELLING a customer and UNDER SELLING a customer are in fact the same crime. In both case the Customer is not getting the value they think they are paying for. Of course Lawn Care takes time a study to do correctly. That is something I don't see many people putting enough effort into. Case in point just because some one is in the industry for Many years doesn't mean they have learned a thing. They just repeat the same mistakes year after Year. I would hope they were smart enough not to brag about their mistakes

Now Let me ask a question. Which is cheaper and more productive. Spending a tad more on products to insure a great response. Or Spending Money on expensive advertisement to replace the Lost customers from doing poor work?? How many time have you read on Lawnsite WORD OF MOUTH IS THE BEST WAY TO GET CUSTOMERS. How do you get word of mouth?? Good work or Expensive TV advertisement? Which is profitable?? Word of Mouth or Expensive advertisement?

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
klsgc

I think you are missing the point about BMP. Best Management Practice which include IMP integrated Pest Management. BTW these Letter also stand for IMP = I Pay Material and BMP = Better Make a Profit.

The Big part of BMP is Record keeping because things like Grubs and Brown patch will occur over and over again each year. Therefore knowing and keeping records allows you to Prevent them from happening. It takes less chemical to prevent a Pest than it does to Cure or control a Pest. The Old Oz of Prevention is worth a pound of Cure. Hopefully the Tree hugger will appreciate our trying to protect the environment. BUT The POINT IS KNOWNING YOUR PEST PRESSURE AND SELLING THE APPROPERATE PROGRAM.
Ric-

I understand what you're saying, and am curious how you would handle/sell the following situation that is common for my climate.

Grub problems at most once every three years, and at most 25% or less of the customer base, and not necessarily the same 25% of customers when there is a problem. Your climate may be quite predictable, but you make it sound like us northerners should be able to predict when and where we might see a grub issue that in my case is about a 10% or less probability...
Old 08-25-2011, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnLefty View Post
Ric-

I understand what you're saying, and am curious how you would handle/sell the following situation that is common for my climate.

Grub problems at most once every three years, and at most 25% or less of the customer base, and not necessarily the same 25% of customers when there is a problem. Your climate may be quite predictable, but you make it sound like us northerners should be able to predict when and where we might see a grub issue that in my case is about a 10% or less probability...
MnLefty

WHAT I DO IS.

I don't detail every possible issue with my customer, In fact I don't even have a contract. I will provide a proposal if they insist. I don't sell a program, I don't sell Treatments, I don't Sell Weed Control or Grub Control. What I sell is Results and nothing else. I charge enough that an extra $ 18.00 an acre per year is not going break me and If I over apply Imidacloprid it isn't going going to kill the wales. Because it is as safe a Insecticide as you can find. But I give the customer and Health Pest Free lawn as EXPECTED

Maybe I am lucky or have the Right Market area. But I have never had any real legal issues from a customer. Oh sure I have written off a few over the years but No Contract is a double edged sword and I can quit a customer just as easy as he quits me.

PS. As a side note. If you can't charge enough to provide professional lawn care, you better find another gig. I am sorry but Lawn Care is just as much a professional trade as a Plumber or Electrician. Both those trades have 3 or 4 year apprenticeship and School or study material. Why Fools think they can buy Crap at Home Cheapo and compete professionally is be on me. Of course that is why your prices are so low. Lobby your state for stricter Licensing and watch how your prices will increase.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i have to agree with ric, i dont think most customers want or need details they just want a weed free bug free lawn. you go into to much detail i feel it may go over there head and you will lose them. the reason is the dont understand what chemical does what and they really dont care i think. all they care about is a nice lawn.dont get me wrong but some might ask questions but like ric said the price is so cheap per acre why not just give them one price and be done with it. you will not win every bid nor will you want to. give them what they want and what they pay for and let the others who are price shopping go to a cheaper place and let those people deal with the cheapo's.......if you start to nickle and dime them over everything most will think your trying to screw them.

or sorry mister that is nutsedge thats not covered under our contract. or sorry sir that is grub damage thats not covered kinda sounds like that extended warranty you got for that new car but nothings covered leaves a bad tatste in there mouth...alot of people wont remember the details of the contract when this time comes around...

Last edited by gregory; 08-25-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So you are saying you offer grubworm products, nutsedge products, other specialty herbicides, wear & tear on equipment & vehicles, and whatever else, plus your time encountered on your part, plus fuel etc at no charge? How TF do you stay in business and still compete? Just curious. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, cuz we "charge" for "extra time & material". So does everybody around here. rsvp cuz I want to know
Old 08-25-2011, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the TF comment..........

i dont think anybody said things were done for free are you a short fellow bc things seem to fly right over your head....

do you offer total lawn care or just some lawn care????????
Old 08-25-2011, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

yup, at $2/k for bifenthrin I'm probably going to charge pretty healthy for killing someone's chinch bugs.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

AAHHHHH, I get it. You guys are in favor of Obama lawncare. Charge everyone for pests, not the just the ones who have the issues. Its just not fair that my neighbor doesn't have them and I do so I have to pay to kill them.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I treated a zoysia lawn today that had about a 1K area that had grubs. Grubs are not a big problem around here but we do occasionally see them. I had a 20lb bag of grub control that treats 25K and cost me $15. Do I treat the 1K and charge extra for the material and time or do I knock on the door, tell the customer I found grubs, treated them at no charge as part of the service since it was such a small area and from now on I'm "superman"?? I charge enough to cover the little incidentals such as this. To me the answer is obvious. Like Gregory said, you can nickle and dime people to death because you sold them the "bare-bones" program sothey would think they were getting a "deal" and you could add another customer to your list or you can offer them value at a Fair (but usually not the cheapest) price and neither one of you will sweat the small stuff.