Register free!

Old 08-26-2011, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkschopped67 View Post
Ric

I am not in the business, just a home owner. Will you explain to me the correct product and the time of the month to control grubs in my lawn. I live in California, and would like to know your opinion of the life cycle, and how to control them the correct way. What and when should I put down to kill those grubs, moths, beetles, ECT.

Kirk
Kirk

The Honest answer is I don't know But your local county Extension agent should be able to advises you. He is part of the Land Grant University system set up by the Federal government back when the government actually helped people. I am 3,000 miles away and in a Subtropic Wet Climate to your Milder Dry Climate. I know my area and problems but not yours.

I use the generic of a product made by Bayer Labs called Merit 2 F. It is a systemic that has a resisdual so the window of opportunity is forgiving as long as you are close. Too early and is wears out, too late and it isn't ready for grub control. but the window is forgiving in most areas.

Grubs are the Pulp of Beetles as Caterpillars are to Butterflies. Grub eggs must absorb twice their weight in water in order to hatch. Therefore Grubs are generally found just above the the high water mark after a heavy rain or other semi wet or moist areas. Some Educated Pros in certain areas actually only treat these areas in places where Grubs are not a big problem or where they Kept records of past grub damage. Depending on the species, Grubs live in the Grub form before becoming Beetles for 1 to 3 years. Beetles general live a few months and once again can or can't be a problem pest depending on species.

Now the problem I have in advising homeowners is the equipment I use is out of your price range as a homeowner. I also purchase commercial chemical which might not be as accessible to you. However I am sure I just gave you more information than most Cracker Jack Certifications.

Larry

Quality vs Quantity is an old theme when it comes to business. Comparing our two Business is like Comparing Your large Public housing unit to my Million dollar Single Family Water front homes. Or like the saute Chef once told me. You got to know your onions if you don't want flip burgers.

HAVE A DAY

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Every market is different. Size/structure of business or number of accounts is not important. It's profit that counts.....otherwise one cannot stay in business. But then I get also get taxed to death ...... now about 48% of Americans rely on some sort of welfare (MY MONEY), and I'm truly sick of folks taking money from MY family. That just ain't right. In my State, one minority alone accounts for over 25% of welfare payments - even though they only account for about 2% of my State's population. That ain't right!

Regarding liquid/surface apps for grubs... We used to apply Triumph 4E liquid. That stuff was awesome, but it was pulled off the market in the late 90's. Oftanol worked okay, but certain grubworms became immune to it. Weird. Been mainly using Merit since then as a preventative. Dylox for quick kill. Tried "Aloft" last year cuz it supposedly had quick kill + prevent.....ain't using it any more cuz the results sucked IMO

Being semi retired & pulling in that kind of dough is AWESOME! Too bad uncle sam is using OPM's (other peoples' money) to give it to deadbeats in this formally proud Country. my 2 cents

Larry i am afaid that will never change. alot of those on welfare have no reason to work and never will find one until the money runs out until that happens that will continue.

i used arena this year b/c i was given a 40oz jug. i alreay had a 2.15 gallon jug of dominion but i wasnt going to turn down a free jug of arena. i had bad grub problems over the last 2-3 years. not this year the arena has worked great for both chinch bugs and grubs....
Old 08-26-2011, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Larry i am afaid that will never change. alot of those on welfare have no reason to work and never will find one until the money runs out until that happens that will continue.

i used arena this year b/c i was given a 40oz jug. i alreay had a 2.15 gallon jug of dominion but i wasnt going to turn down a free jug of arena. i had bad grub problems over the last 2-3 years. not this year the arena has worked great for both chinch bugs and grubs....
Unfortunately when the money runs out they don't go back to work they riot and burn cars and destroy business. Just look at Greece
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-28-2011, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I deal with grubs very little, but isn't a grub a grub? Doesn't matter what species, they are all the same. Do a preventative application and be done for the year.
Bshaffer@thrivelawns.com
www.thrivelawns.com
Old 09-12-2011, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sept 12 grub update (Iowa)

New tiny grubs today. Sorry for the bad picture.

center of pic: a penny

left: 2 tiny grubs

lower right: a one inch grub -- hard to see in the pic, but he's headed north and slightly west

These grubs were found today on a 35,000 sq ft (irrigated) lawn in West Des Moines. The entire lawn needed treatment. As many as 12 per s/f were found. More grubs per sqaure foot were found in healthy/green turf compared to less green areas.

A month ago, we were finding "one inch" grubs. So I'm guessing these new/small ones are mask chafers.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2011, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Americanlawn

What is your plan of attack?

Kirk
Old 09-12-2011, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

plan of attack

Dylox -- tried other "new" products, but they were disappointing. (Aloft sucks)

I actually treated his "front island" (1500 s/f) today with a push spreader cuz it was "mushy" due to heavy irrigation for recent landscaping. (Don't need a ride-on unit making ruts).

The other 34,0000 s/f will be treated with Dylox tomorrow (Sept 13) with a T Three Million (T3000).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkschopped67 View Post
Americanlawn

What is your plan of attack?

Kirk
Old 09-12-2011, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Larry

I would be ashamed to make the posts you make about not being able to control grubs after 30 some years in the Lawn spray business.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Ric

Why do you think he should be ashamed? If you are joking, that is fine, but if you are for real your just a jerk.

Kirk
Old 09-13-2011, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks very much Kirk.

I hope the following can clear things up for Ric >> We offer grubworm prevention to all customers. Some opt for it, and some do not. The last time this customer ordered grub prevent was 4 or 5 years ago. We have had no grubworm breakthrough this year on lawns that received a preventative treatment.

This customer also had several areas of yellow nutsedge when I was there yesterday, so I sprayed all of it while I was there at no charge. He spends lots of money with us including mowing, and the only time he ever calls is if he wants to order extra services. He also owns a couple of town home complexes in Ohio that suffered extensive Imprellis damage, and I feel sorry for him. This guy is very wealthy, yet he is always kind and respectful to us" lawn jockeys" -- basically a "dream customer" that most of us want.

I thought my post was prompt & timely. New information, and even included a pic (which most of us like). I sent this same info & (poor) pic to ISU yesterday. I just received an email from them thanking me for the report.

I do not feel "ashamed", and this customer's lawn was treated for grubworms first thing this morning.