Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another sample contract request. but take a look

I have a client who is currently in the hospital. this is a very tight customer that never wants to part with any extra money for his yard. I have had this client for about 5 years now.
I get a call from a guy saying he was my clients neighbor and he is watching the house, he also says that my client recieved a letter from the state saying he needs to remove or trim all the over grown shrubs, brush and vines from the property or he will start getting fined. This guy also says he talked to my client in the hospital and thats how he got my number and my client told him to tell me to go over and clean up the yard.
Now this yard very badly over grown and i figure will take 2 days to cut, trim and haul everything away.

I need something for my clients neighbor to sign stating that my client told him to have me do this work and that if it comes back that my client did not that the neighbor would be responsible for any unpaid balances.

is this what you guys would do or would you just stay away from this job?

It's the only job i know,
Where i can walk in circles and talk to myself
And no one thinks i'm crazy.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would stay away. They have phones in the hospital. If he is able to communicate this stuff to the neighbor than he can let you know himself. Tell the neighbor to have the homeowner call you direct to discuss it.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Simply put run, run away! If you really must I would try to contact your customer even though he is in the hospital or if anything try to get a hold of one of his relatives and find out what's up because something doesn't sound right
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2011, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would tell the neighbor that you can't do any work unless you are authorized by the homeowner and to have the neighbor tell your client to call you (2 min call) to arrange or tell him if he would like to pay you will start right away. Don't get stuck with a bill because the neighbor wants the property cleaned up.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of client is he......if his yard is in this shape?

Family member calls and/or meets me (preferrably the latter)......or no dice.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the clients yard is a mess, but the grass area is in really good shape. Each year this guys yard gets smaller and smaller because the brush and trees are growing so large. He is an ok grass cutting customer, gives me way more than the grass cutting is worth but does not like parting with any extra money for the rest of the yard.
I remember when i 1st started cutting for him years ok thinking to myself " he must have something hid in those bushes since he made it such a point not to go in the bushes or trim them back"
the back yard got so bad at 1 point i could not get into the back yard cause an old cherry tree started leaning across his back gate.
after a few months the electric company cut it back for him.
he is an elderly man, seems nice enough, always comes out and talks to me and the guys tells us a joke then goes back in the house. his house is also in need of repairs maybe he could just not afford to have any other work done, who knows.

But anyway i called the neighbor told him i could not do the work unless my customer told me directly. the neighbor started to give me the hospital name and room number but i cut him off telling him " i did not feel comfortable calling him while he was in the hospital, if he wanted to call me that would be fine"
and that's how it was left.

It's the only job i know,
Where i can walk in circles and talk to myself
And no one thinks i'm crazy.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have worked for him for 5 yrs then, go see him in the hospital.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A letter from the state to trim the bushes? Ive never heard of that. Maybe from a city based on an ordinance or something, or a HOA, but the state is a new one.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

If he has been a loyal customer to you and you know him fairly well, I would go see him in the hospital if you can. I too have never heard of a letter from the state. Get a copy of the letter and go discuss it with your actual customer. Neighbors can be a pain. Forget that guy! Go talk with the customer and let him know that you would like to complete the work and help him out. For one, he will appreciate the visit and it shows you care for him and his property.This will go a long way! Take pictures with you and describe what you would do. It sounds like proper pruning and trimming will really shape things up. Give him a reasonable estimate because he has been loyal to you. If you have a proper equipment there should not be but a few hours of labor involved. Worst case scenario, you help a guy out in your spare time!
Old 08-20-2011, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStateTurfKing View Post
If he has been a loyal customer to you and you know him fairly well, I would go see him in the hospital if you can. I too have never heard of a letter from the state. Get a copy of the letter and go discuss it with your actual customer. Neighbors can be a pain. Forget that guy! Go talk with the customer and let him know that you would like to complete the work and help him out. For one, he will appreciate the visit and it shows you care for him and his property.This will go a long way! Take pictures with you and describe what you would do. It sounds like proper pruning and trimming will really shape things up. Give him a reasonable estimate because he has been loyal to you. If you have a proper equipment there should not be but a few hours of labor involved. Worst case scenario, you help a guy out in your spare time!
How on earth could you possibly know this from the information given? He said it would take him 2 days first of all and you have never seen the property. It could be 5 acres for all you know and he has to trim the back the perimeter.