Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-18-2011, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Carb adjusting on fj180vkai

I recently changed the piston rings and gaskets on my fj180vkai. I started it back up and it sounded really weak and crappy. I twisted the two screws on the carb hoping it would make a difference and the motor continued to sound the same.

So, I left it running outside. After about an hour of sitting idle and sounding like crap, it suddenly reved WAY up. Really loud. It scared me and I ran outside and shut it down.

I am guessing the motor was maybe breaking in the rings and is good to go now? However, I am guessing the carb needs to be adjusted now because it sounded like the idle was sky high.

Just wondering what the best way is to adjust the carb and make sure I am doing it all right.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3randonf View Post
it suddenly reved WAY up. it sounded like the idle was sky high.

Those two descriptions tell me there's no carb adjustment in the world gonna fix it.

One of two things happened, The governor arm slipped on the governor shaft or the governor came apart inside the block.

Try adjusting the governor first;

If that doesn't work, You'll likely end up opening the engine back up and check the governor gear.

On the carb, Turn the lowest adjuster on the left all the way in until LIGHTLY seated. Back it open 1 1/2 to 2 turns, Start engine and set to idle then adjust either way until the smoothest idle is obtained. The screw higher up to the right is for idle speed, This engine should be around 1350 RPM's.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!