Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-18-2011, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

RP testing question

No testing here for residential, and very limited testing anywhere else. Enforcement is weak as well. Since I am not a tester, I have a question.
I have a townhome complex that I have "maintained" the last 1.5 years, basically started up and shut down. They have a 2" RP, but both ball valves have been replaced at some point in time. Neither BV are factory original replacements, which could also fail a test. But the first BV does NOT have a testcock built in, nor is there any other bibb or drain prior to it. So my question is - does that qualify as a FAIL for a test? You cannot get a reading on the inlet side for pressure.

I did an assessment today and will be presenting it to the HOA board soon, but I also know they do not have funds to upgrade the system. Even the lawn guy is cutting every two weeks to save them some money. But I want to point out to the board that the guy that is inspecting is not doing his job and is stealing their money.

Some big issues I am bring up. Static at the #4 TC is 125 psi. Dynamic at the spray head on one zone with 32 heads, is still 84 psi. You get the picture, lots of misting. System has a master valve which I think was added due to leaking in the valve boxes. Broken heads, worn wiper seals, heads leaking at bottom of slopes and down the street due to no SAMs, older PGPs that are leaking out of the little hole on the top, heads under shrubs and behind trees, tree root choking off pipes, etc.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unless your laws include a "same brand" provision, I do not worry about the name on a ball valve. Manufacturers do go out of business.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't remember if we do or not, but I know that can be a fail for some areas. My question is mainly about the TC being missing on the inlet side. I do believe that is a fail, correct? It has been tested each of the last two season I have been on site, and it keeps getting passed.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

TC #1 is not used for test procedures however alterations to the assembly is cause for failure to pass.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I believe you can still test the check valves, if the upstream isolation valve doesn't leak. In other words, the protection of the check valves can still be verified.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Technically in the rule books it's supposed to be the same brand ball valve and you are supposed to have the test **** port on sov #1

If I was testing it I personally wouldn't care but I would notate it down on the report. I mean you leave sov #1 in the on position when testing rp's anyways

get a prv on that system
Old 08-18-2011, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
My question is mainly about the TC being missing on the inlet side. I do believe that is a fail, correct?
I'm sorry I would comment, but I don't think you are licensed and I don't want to give unsuspecting posters a wrong impression. Dana, I think it is time you stick to something you are trained for...
Old 08-18-2011, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The test **** (#1) on the ball valve does not come in to play for testing. No where on my testing procedures is it mentioned so I would pass it.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mitch and ArTurf are right, you'll only use testcock #1 if you've got a leaking shutoff #2 and need to put back pressure on the 2nd check but 99.999% of the time, you don't touch it. Only need 2, 3 and 4 to test an RP if the 2nd shutoff is working correctly. I'll fail an assembly if the rubbers, etc. aren't OEM (like that POS Febco kit that Sprinkler Warehouse sells) but ball valves aren't a reason to fail a device in my book.

The guy that's testing it should mention that there should be another testcock but I wouldn't fail an RP because it was missing either, unless I had a leaking #2 shutoff, in which case I'd make them replace both ball valves and correct the problem with shutoff #1.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
Mitch and ArTurf are right, you'll only use testcock #1 if you've got a leaking shutoff #2 and need to put back pressure on the 2nd check but 99.999% of the time, you don't touch it. Only need 2, 3 and 4 to test an RP if the 2nd shutoff is working correctly. I'll fail an assembly if the rubbers, etc. aren't OEM (like that POS Febco kit that Sprinkler Warehouse sells) but ball valves aren't a reason to fail a device in my book.

The guy that's testing it should mention that there should be another testcock but I wouldn't fail an RP because it was missing either, unless I had a leaking #2 shutoff, in which case I'd make them replace both ball valves and correct the problem with shutoff #1.

That's always been a huge issue with me

I mean we all know #1 is pointless. #1 gives a higher probability of having contamination in the line. They have it for testing purpose on a what 'if' scenario. Well what if #2 sov doesn't shut off, or for what ever scenario that I can't think about right now that needs #1.. Tell the effers to replace it or fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet... I can't have a curb stop relief valve in ground 18"-24" down with gravel prior to the back flow assembly ( Allowing water prior to the BFA to drain out) to prevent freezing.. What gives!

idiotic bureaucrats not living in the real world