Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2011, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGOS View Post
I'm sorry I would comment, but I don't think you are licensed and I don't want to give unsuspecting posters a wrong impression. Dana, I think it is time you stick to something you are trained for...
I disagree here.

He's asking a simple question which any certified backflow tester will know. He wasn't going to the customer and saying ' oh well you don't have a proper #1 sov so therefore I can't do anything with your system and i'm also shutting off your water until you fix it'.... ( like some of the nazi cities I work in do)

A region that doesn't enforce back flow testing .. What else can you do? Particularly when almost every job you deal with has a back flow assembly.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
I disagree here.

He's asking a simple question which any certified backflow tester will know. He wasn't going to the customer and saying ' oh well you don't have a proper #1 sov so therefore I can't do anything with your system and i'm also shutting off your water until you fix it'.... ( like some of the nazi cities I work in do)

A region that doesn't enforce back flow testing .. What else can you do? Particularly when almost every job you deal with has a back flow assembly.
I'm sorry. I was poking Dana. I guess I should have used an icon, but it would have ruined the bite. Dana LOVES my sarcasm. Let me retry:

"Hey Dana, you good for nothing bum. Why don't you get a real job like selling backpacks you bum."
Old 08-19-2011, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the answers guys, I'm glad I didn't cause any problems with the tester due to my lack of knowledge. That is why I asked.
I still have an issue with it though. The on-off is a curb stop valve, and I'd prefer a TC to break the vacuum when it is time to drain it back.

ARGOS - go take a long walk off a short pier buddy, you good for nuthin' california liberal hack! (see, the emoticon washes it all away. I knew A was messin' with me)
Old 08-19-2011, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My views concerning non-licensed hacks even TOUCHING backflow assemblies are well known, so I won't comment.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
My views concerning non-licensed hacks even TOUCHING backflow assemblies are well known, so I won't comment.
Go lock yourself in the Twinkie......
Old 08-19-2011, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sorry, but I think you're wrong there.

I used to be licensed for testing, then the only calls I got were for bigazz RPs at hospitals and such, and I didn't want to take the risks involved in servicing them.

Nobody enforces testing of residential backflow preventers of any kind around here.

So, today I ran across a 1-1/4" Febco 825 and was gonna use the downstream ball valve to shut the water off while I changed out three valves in the backyard. The handle was tight and the stem snapped right off. Wasn't going to wait for somebody to order me a Febco ball valve. Found a new brass Matco with the same overall dimensions and installed it instead.

Getting the water back on was more important than matching the damn brand. Sucker probably hadn't been shut off since it was installed in 1994.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you be obligated to service large backflow preventers that you test? (ignoring for the moment the obvious synergy)
Old 08-19-2011, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
Sorry, but I think you're wrong there.

Getting the water back on was more important than matching the damn brand. Sucker probably hadn't been shut off since it was installed in 1994.
Like I said. Technically it's in the books but it's really not that big of a deal.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Howzabout concentrating on the actual functioning of the backflow preventer?
Old 08-20-2011, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If a tester is smart enough, a leaking ball valve can be detected. My feeling is if the ball valve(s) are heading south, then the rest of the assembly is, also. Another great reason to spec unions for easy retro-fit.