Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-18-2011, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Did I miss something???

Can someone fill me in or link me to a thread discussing the elimination of pesticides in general?

I noticed as I was applying a neighbors fertilizer (Scotts step 3) that there is no longer insect killer in the application. I asked the local distributor and he told me they took it out along the idea that all pesticides, (herbicides and insecticides) will be soon removed from the market. Is this true in general or just home owner applications? Will people with applicator licenses be the only ones allowed to apply these chemicals? Or is this all just conjecture and rumor?
Old 08-19-2011, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, not happening. However, if Scotts did not do that, they would be creating the call to ban pesticides because their combination products encourage misuse. Personally, I do not like the idea of fertilizers automatically combined with any pesticides. What if there is no need at that time for a pesticide?

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-19-2011, 05:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Will people with applicator licenses be the only ones allowed to apply these chemicals?
That would be novel, huh?

Unless it's a homeowner.....applying at his OWN home, what you said is true (at least in my state), currently.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

True here too in MA. But what I meant was from what I was told, the only time pesticides would be used is if licensed people applied them. That way, as you mentioned, misuse would be reduced greatly. My other question though is what about other chemicals that may soon be banned. Diazinon, MSMA, etc. Whats next?
Old 08-19-2011, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is conjecture and rumor.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

if it is, then can you explain (with proof) why Scotts has removed the insecticide from it's Step 3 application? in the past, step 1 was for crabgrass prevention, step 2 was for weed control, 3 was for insect control and 4 was winterizer. Now, the insecticide no longer is in the application.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no idea why Scotts removed that insecticide. But i wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to limit liability. Now because of that you want to translate your inconvenience into a total ban on pesticides. That doesn't make sense. You have a uninformed view on this subject.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

but we should really lobby to get any pesticide removed from homeowner use dont you? i swear more misuse comes from them then properly trained licenses folk. i do however think the tests should be harder though to eliminate more of the idiots in this industry
Old 08-21-2011, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Cape Trees, I think your dealer was being sarcastic. However, there is a strong movement in MA to reduce if not eliminate pesticides. I personally feel pesticides should only be applied by trained professionals.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-21-2011, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
I have no idea why Scotts removed that insecticide. But i wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to limit liability. Now because of that you want to translate your inconvenience into a total ban on pesticides. That doesn't make sense. You have a uninformed view on this subject.
Bit arrogant and full or ourselves today, no?

It's of no inconvienience to me in that I can go and apply pesticides as needed as I am licensed and I am not the one that proclaimed that pesticides are to be banned. My dealer was the one that mentioned it and it seemed to be correct. Liability issues? Maybe, but that isn't done without reason. Be sure that pesticides are cetainly in the sights of the environmentalists. What phasthound is stating is true, that there is more of a push to eliminate as many and as much pesticide from the market as possible especially in MA. I know, I'm in the business. But to see a worldwide company like Scotts make a move to remove something from it's trademark system is a bit interesting.