Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-19-2011, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Hard on equipment and screws up my route!

I have a feeling most of you are going to say " bye, bye " but here it is:

I have 2 accounts which for some grace of god, their grass keeps growing weekly. I'm talking miracle in Texas but anyhow, it really grows. To the point where a week is almost to long, really! So I am sick of working an hour and a half to knock down this foot tall or better grass.

1. It sounds like crap on my equipment.

2. It can't be good for the grass.

3. It takes a full hour or better and screws with my profitability.

I have spoken on the phone with both and explained all the reasons why they should go weekly, neither are budging. I've got to cut them.

How often do you guys run into this? Wow people your homeowners have some pride in ownership right?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drenchedlawn View Post
I have a feeling most of you are going to say " bye, bye " but here it is:

I have 2 accounts which for some grace of god, their grass keeps growing weekly. I'm talking miracle in Texas but anyhow, it really grows. To the point where a week is almost to long, really! So I am sick of working an hour and a half to knock down this foot tall or better grass.

1. It sounds like crap on my equipment.

2. It can't be good for the grass.

3. It takes a full hour or better and screws with my profitability.

I have spoken on the phone with both and explained all the reasons why they should go weekly, neither are budging. I've got to cut them.

How often do you guys run into this? Wow people your homeowners have some pride in ownership right?
If you are charging properly you would not be discouraged. Raise the price to make it worth it. You may lose them but that is a chance you are willing to take it sounds like.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 08-19-2011, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, good call, can't hurt.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is something that is hard to tell when your giving the estimate. And makes you look bad when you raise your prices right after you get the account. On the other hand I just had a customer that was on a bi weekly schedule and we were having the same issues. Called him up and he said yeah the last guy we had doing it was doing it every ten days but we can go to weekly if we need to. I gave him a discount of 5 dollars because its less work and his property looks 10 times better when we leave.

Raise your prices with an explination to compensate for the extra work

Ask if they would be willing to go to weekly service for a better looking property and a discounted rate.

Or discontinue service.

That's the only options they have. It is rare that we get weekly customers where we are at. But the ones that we do service definetly care about how things look.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2011, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
If you are charging properly you would not be discouraged. Raise the price to make it worth it. You may lose them but that is a chance you are willing to take it sounds like.
I agree with this although the terms if his contract might make a mid year price increase diffucult.

Try this if you can.... Weekly mowing $50 per cut. Every other week $75 per cut. Those dont have to be the exact numbers but you get the point.

I would never advise someone to drop a lawn that privides consistent income even during a drought!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

w/o going back to reread. I assume that you estimated them as biweekly and gave a price as biweekly. Personally this late in the season I wouldnt raise the rates. for that i would wait until spring and word it more as a cost of fuel and living increase.

I would however start cutting every 10 days. until it slows then go back to bi. I have always done this and no one has said anything. I will not destroy my lifelyhood for one average paying account.....how many time would I have to cut this place in order to pay for the damage and life expectancy of my equipment...alot of time...

they dont want to pay weekly even if its at a cheaper cost. so they dont care what the lawn looks like. I would never drop them as long as the checks were good. but i wouldnt kill myself I would just go to ten days and mind my own business
Old 08-19-2011, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyredd99 View Post
w/o going back to reread. I assume that you estimated them as biweekly and gave a price as biweekly. Personally this late in the season I wouldnt raise the rates.
Please bear in mind that it's late in the season in PA, those of use in the south are just over halfway. I still have 3 good months to go.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I use an "overgrown fee" I apply to clients that are penny pinching on how often their lawn is cut. When they ask why I'm charging more (the subtext being they want it cut every three+ weeks to save money), I explain the growth on their property takes longer to properly cut and is harder on my equipment.

One example recently was a client who was upset at the upcharge. I pulled out my tablet and showed her the entries for her previous recent cuts, detailing the time required. Then I showed her the latest cut, which was at a four week interval. Then I pointed across the street to another client's yard and showed her the times for that cut, which is kept maintained at more reasonable intervals. She didn't like it, but she stopped b***hing about the upcharge.

Ultimately, I'd rather not cut it than cut it once every four or five weeks without an upcharge to cover the overgrowth.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I like that overgrown idea as well! The bottom line is as I grow and my route tightens I can't afford to keep these clients. Ive got to have a well oiled machine to generate the type of revenues I've projected. I like this overgrown charge as a protection for situations where it applies. Because we all know we run in to this at least once every couple weeks. People don't understand that as much as it is about them, this is also a business about me. Not to mention the work I do is much better than average because I watch the competition, and although I understand speed and having everything down you cannot sacrifice quality, it's a thin line!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Please bear in mind that it's late in the season in PA, those of use in the south are just over halfway. I still have 3 good months to go.
So in your contract, how long is your current price good for?