Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2012, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
I've heard (no proof) that the ethanol blend is not very precise. One batch of E-10 may be 5% ethanol, another batch may be nearly 20%. Purely heresay, but it does explain the occasional meltdown of plastic/rubber.
This is not heresay. There was an article in ?Landscape Digest? (a Moose River mag) where they were discussing the threat of 15% ethanol. It was in that article where a guy down in the south had been testing ethanol fuel for years - and found wildly erratic percentages (from 5-20%). I'm too lazy to look up the article, but that really struck me when I read it and I've retained it since.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'v seen several commercials for a TV show where they supposedly go out hunting for Bigfoot after reports of numerous sitings. I am now afraid to venture into the woods. That said, I have never experienced any issues with ethanol fuels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2012, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is something you can do to help your larger equipment like mowers. Part of the problem with ethanol enhanced fuels is it eats rubber. If you're having a problem with it eating your fuel lines you can do one of 2 things.

1: Buy high quality, American made, fuel injection hose. These hoses are made to resist the alcohol. They do a much better job of it than a regular hose and a much better job than a Chinese manufactured hose.

2: You can use an even better hose than that though. I've been using EFI nylon fuel line when I can. It is a hard nylon tubing. It's inside size is .275" or slightly larger than 1/4". You have to heat it up to bend it into the shape you want and to slip it over fuel fittings. I've had no failures of this line so far and it's good for at least 20 years or so. You can buy it here: http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/..._and_Fuel_Line

Old 01-16-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

C'mon small engine manufacturers, get your technology up to date renewable fuels aren't going away.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 01-17-2012, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's not just a matter of making fuel system components resistant to ethanol, that can be done. It's the separation and water absorption that occurs in ethanol fuel that is causing damage also and that is not something that any vehicle or equipment manufacturer can do anything about. You can't make an engine run on water and crap. The only way to solve this is to vote the clowns out of office. Then this renewable fuel nonsense will go away.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
The only way to solve this is to vote the clowns out of office. Then this renewable fuel nonsense will go away.
Renewable fuel isn't going anywhere. We can vote these clowns out and another set of clowns gets in. America doesn't have the balls to put someone into office that doesn't think like the rest of the clowns.

I can tell you right now the choice is coming down to Romney or Obama. They're one in the same. There might be slight differences in how they destroy America but just as sure as the day is long, they will both do the wrong thing.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sadly you make a good point.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
It's not just a matter of making fuel system components resistant to ethanol, that can be done. It's the separation and water absorption that occurs in ethanol fuel that is causing damage also and that is not something that any vehicle or equipment manufacturer can do anything about. You can't make an engine run on water and crap. The only way to solve this is to vote the clowns out of office. Then this renewable fuel nonsense will go away.
Yes you can, your ignorance clearly shows.
Lots of vehicles out these days that run on E-85. And at least that 'crap' is grown and harvested right here in the USA you dingdong. And although it is far from perfect, who knows what technologies it may segway into. I state again, renewables are not going away, they are only going advance
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 01-24-2012, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah right. Let your Flex fuel vehicle sit for a few months with E85 in the tank and see how it runs. Ethanol is crap. The sooner you realize that the better everyone will be. You people that are drinking the government Kool Aid need to realize that ethanol doesn't save us ANYTHING and is just another asinine program like all the rest politicians dream up to put money into their own pockets.

Last edited by CL&T; 01-24-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

And I forgot to add- remember MBTE? That garbage was added to gasoline before ethanol. Wow, this is great stuff. Really going to cut emissions. Then they found that it was seeping into ground water and contaminating it for miles around. Jackasses.