Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2002, 05:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

mig welder

MY ALUMINIUM rack broke. i am into the market for a mig welder. small shop-115- 220 volt. nothing big...i have a stick lincon225 amp in the barn mow.
1. which one do you recomend?
2. will gasless work on aluminium?
thanks anthony
Old 10-30-2002, 04:42 PM

#1, Lincoln, Hobart, Miller, in that order, stay away from the imported cheapies.

#2 No.

I've got two 110 migs, a Miller 130 and a Snap-On MM140. Never tried either of them on aluminum. I have my doubts about the weak feeders in either of them being able to do really well with aluminum wire. The only mig I have used for that is a Linde spoolgun and it's the cat's meow. I'd want to try the machine before I bought into any 110 unit for aluminum welding.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a Lincoln sp1135 mig machine and it can do aluminum , they said I need a special adapter kit with a new feed wheel and something else, like $45.oo and you have to use gas, I think it was argon, whichever it was was for stainless too....
Old 01-02-2003, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

#1, Lincoln, Hobart, Miller, in that order, stay away from the imported cheapies.

Not excatly true. Miller bought Hobart out and now manufactors Hobart. The new hobart machine are actually cheaper versions of the New Millers and are not quite as good as the Millers. As for Lincoln verses Miller that is probably more a matter of personal preference than fact. I have a lincoln 225/125 ac/dc stick and a Holbart 125 mig with argon and like both for what I use them for.

Welding Alum. with a mig is better left to the use of a spoolgun instead of trying to replace the regular roll of wire with alum. wire. The reason is that the long distance you will be pushing your wire thru your leads tend to cause the alum. wire to bind inside the leads and requires special rollers and guides to prevent this. With a spoolgun you are pushing the wire a short distance and dont have this problem. If you are purchaseing a new weilder with the intent to weld alum. it it best to tell your rep. to be sure that you get a welder that will accept a spoolgun as all mig welders wont. Of course you can purchase mig welders that dont need a spoolgun to weld alum. but these welders are usally about 3 or 4 times higher in price that the reqular Lincoln or Miller seen in most shops.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Just get a lincoln
1-Case 1845C